Fold away Mobility scooter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fold away Mobility scooter

Teddyedward
Teddyedward Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Looking for ideas.
In a nutshell, I suffer from COPD and AF. For the past 8 years, I have been a regular volunteer with the Greyhound Trus in Essex, helping to home retired greyhounds.
Due to a worsening of my condition I am now unable to be very active at all, physically. In addition, I have two retired greyhounds (Ted and Ruby) who I have to often rely on friends to walk them.
The acquisition of a mobility scooter would allow me to get back to the level of volunteering that I was at as well as being able to take Ted and Ruby on longer walks. The foldaway scooter would allow me to drive to promotional events whereby I can then access our stand etc.

I do have a Justgiving site where I have already raised £450 but am still very short of the target required.

I am looking for ideas as to where else I can apply for a small grant. Have already tried some organisations but no joy as yet.

Thank you.

Dave

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hello @Teddyedward    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We guide, advise and help members of our community.

Unfortunately one of our rules is we can accept crowdfunding or asking members for donations.

Sorry to tell you this.

I can give you the following organisations might be useful for you to look at grants for scooters.

I would also consider speaking to these people might help.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk.

These are charities concerned with finance and additional information around anything like loans.

There are Community Funded Projects offer finance and loans depends on circumstances.

Credit Unions worth a look on line, often can help out.  Offer loans at competitive rates.

Please can I wish you all the best, if you have any questions.

Please ask.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Teddyedward and a warm welcome to the community. 

It must be really rewarding to volunteer with retired greyhounds! Is your profile picture one of your two? 

Unfortunately I’ve had to remove the JustGiving link as we don’t allow crowdfunding via the community.

Hopefully some of our members will be along shortly with other fundraising ideas or grant suggestions.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Teddyedward
    Teddyedward Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I fully understand. My profile pic shows my two. Ted is the fawn hound and is now 12 years old. Ruby is 9.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Teddyedward and a very warm welcome to the community! 

Here is a grant checker tool which might allow you to apply for funding. Please do let us know how you get on. :)

It must be great being with the grey hounds! They are such a lovely breed!  
    Scope

• ballkeeper
    ballkeeper Community member Posts: 80 Pioneering
    450 would get you a good take apart scooter go go sport perhaps,

Brightness