Can my son-in-law reapply? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can my son-in-law reapply?

Szakaley1_
Szakaley1_ Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my son in law is awaiting a pancreas kidney transplant. He is still working as a builder and extremely poorly. He gets pip 40 per week  can he reapply?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

Are you sure it's PIP he claims because there's no award that's £40 per week.

If he does already claim it then no, he can't re-apply because he already claims it. He can put in for a worsening of condition but before doing this he needs to take a look at the PIP descriptors to see where he could score more points for a higher award.

PIP isn't awarded  based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

He must also have had the condition for at least 3 month and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. do be aware also that reporting a change of circumstances is always risky because you could lose everything you already have.

I'd advise him to get some expert face to face advice before reporting a change of circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Szakaley1_

Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes he can reapply if there’s any changes.

Please please let me know if you need any further info/advice???

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    steve51 said:
    Hi @Szakaley1_

Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes he can reapply if there’s any changes.

Please please let me know if you need any further info/advice???

@steve51

@steve51 hello,

If there's an award already in place you can't re-apply because there's already an existing award.  What you can do is report a worsening of condition, which will prompt more forms to be sent and quite possibly another face to face assessment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Szakaley1_
    Szakaley1_ Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thank you.  I'm not 100% sure but I will find out how much he gets. I thought it was about £40. He has had a dialysis machine fitted at home recently. But as he is so poorly he has to travel to hospital every day for dialysis to check his fluid levels.  He has young twin boys so needs to work to support them. He goes to work after his treatment.  He has type 1 diabetes and end stage kidney. He can hardly walk as he cannot feel his feet. His face and neck swells with fluid so he cannot lie down at night. It is heart breaking.  He is very proud so difficult to find out all the information. I will try and find out more. He shouldn't be working so he can optimise himself for the transplant.  Hes not long been on the list but maybe taken off as too ill for the op at the moment  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.