Mirtazapine — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mirtazapine

OSCAR1
OSCAR1 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
Hi all does anyone else suffer with taking tablets that dissolve on your tongue then swallow with saliva

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Manchesterunited777 are the tablets meant to dissolve on your tongue?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • OSCAR1
    Yes that what it says on the packet
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Manchesterunited777   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We guide, advise and help members of our Community.

In response to your question on taking medication.

I took these for a number of years.

I have mental health issues used these for depression, will work but take some time to be kicking in.

If using could take a couple of weeks.

I have nutritional and diet qualifications, knowledge and education, advise community members.

Mirtazapine with any medication used to take to three hours before bedtime with my evening meal.

If you read the packet and leaflet says can be taken with food.

If you crunch or bite them do not. Need to swallow whole.

Should not be dissolving on your tongue.

If you take with a meal containing Whole grains, Pasta and Rice . Pulses Beans in combinations with plenty of vegetables and lean meat.

This can induce sleepiness help the drug dissolve and helps the drug to work.

All medication is a trial and error once you know how to administer then you be fine, look at the leaflet please if you can.

One other side effects , you will get dry mouth, tiredness, nausea. Headaches.

Drink water, and make sure energised with small meals or snacks.  Fruit is a good example or Whole meal toast with baked beans or Eggs poached.

If you on a high dosage 30 to 45 mg will have some other side effects.

Always speak to GP.

Please hope that helps you.

Please any questions please ask me.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • OSCAR1
    My problem is I have bad experience with tablets cos I, ve tryed to overdose 3 times so it takes me time to phsyc my self up to take my other medication and when I tryed these dissolving on my tongue I was gagging
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Manchesterunited777   Please thank you for reply.

I am sorry to hear this.

I know all you could do is take a bite of food add your tablet and water swallow and it is done, taken.

I was advised to do this in a support group. From a mental health charity they discuss issues like this.

Please if these help you consider looking as they offer floating support, welfare, benefits and health issues.

Including Sleep, Medication and diet, Nutrition.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Please might not be in all areas and you can self refer or speak to your GP.

One final point never take tablets or medication on its own, says on information leaflet take with water, fruit juice or food.

What happens if you take meds with food is there start to work immediately straight away dissolves with the acids in your stomach.

Combinations of food, acids and drugs into blood stream and starts to work.

If you take no water then drugs might be a while to be effective.

I can understand your situation.

Please I hope that helps any problems speak to your GP.

Please that is there role, please any thing else please ask.

Offer support, compassion.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • OSCAR1
    Thank you spiceman much appriciated
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I can understand tablets making you gag. I take paracetamol 2-4 times a day and I have to put the tablet in my mouth, drink and swallow quickly because the taste is so foul. Sometimes I gag on them and then they stick half-way down or come back up and then I feel awful until I wash the taste away. I also hate it when a tablet breaks getting it out of the packet because I know in advance I will get the foul taste. However, I have to take them so I struggle on hoping they go down as easy as possible. My other tablets are capsules and so give no problems apart from the sheer number I have to take every day.

Good luck and I hope you get used to them. Maybe ask your doctor or pharmacist if there is a different medication or at least a different manufacturer if you continue to have problems.

Btw, even though I have taken too many tablets far too many times to remember I still have no real misgivings, tablets are now just my way of life until I'm not around any more.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Manchesterunited777, sorry you're finding it difficult to take the tablets. Have you spoken to your GP about this? They might be able to prescribe it in an alternative form that is easier.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Brightness