Lack of understanding from Employer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lack of understanding from Employer

JayW
JayW Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2020 in Work and employment
Hi, I Suffer with anxiety and have done for over six years, i have just started a new job in which i have to work days and nights. I have been struggling to prepare for the night shifts and has caused me to have two absences. My employer is aware of my anxiety as i have asked for just day shifts but they are failing to help. What should I do? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

When you say new job is it the same employer with a new role or a completely new employer? If it's new employer did they know about your condition when you accepted the job?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JayW
    Yes, a new employer, and yes they did know when i first started, thank you for your reply!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JayW and a very warm welcome to the community!

I am sorry your employer has not been supporting you. Here are some article which you might find helpful: 
    Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do, you don't need to do this by yourself. :)
    Scope

• CharlotteG
    CharlotteG Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi @JayW does your employer have an occupational health team / department? They may be a good place to start as they can advise on reasonable adjustments and this makes it more formal for your manager to follow. 
  • ricky1040
    ricky1040 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    Yes if its a large employer and has occ health. Formally ask to be reviewed with regard to your absence as you feel that there is potential to improve your attendance with reasonable adjustments put in place. If what your asking is genuinely reasonable and likely to help you stay in work and perform better. If the occ health agrees the company would be hard pushed to deny this. When you applied for the job where you made aware of the work pattern? And if so did you infirm them you may have issues? All this is important. 
  • JayW
    Hi, i am currently going through occupational health which have said that i was protected under the Act, i was made aware of the work pattern but at the time I hadn’t worked nights before but was truthful about my anxiety and that i had just been signed off for 4 months from my old employer and upped my medication! Thank you for your replies!
  • ricky1040
    Did they reccomend the reasonable adjustment in their response. Hopefully tour nee employer is sympathetic to your situation. I can tell you from experiance not all are.
  • JayW
    No reasonable adjustments recommend but i did ask if I could just do days.
  • ricky1040
    Well good luck. I hope it works out for u
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    I think this issue here is that it's a new job, which you accepted and nights were part of the job description.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    Hi I had an occupational telephone assessment in December and on Friday just gone I saw my manager to discuss the report and the next time I see them it’s either I stay depending when I have my injection next Friday if it takes the pain away or not, or it will be dismissal ill health. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JayW, how are things going?
    Scope

Brightness