How could you save energy? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How could you save energy?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
This week, 20th-26th January, is Big Energy Saving Week. It is a national campaign to get you all the financial support that you are entitled to and help people cut their energy bills.

a man holding a light bulb in the palms of his hands

Here is a great article from Citizen's Advice:
Use our energy price comparison tool to save money

Try the Citizens Advice energy price comparison tool which is free, uses a full market comparison, totally independent and gives a customer service rating for the major energy companies.

We also have advice and tips on what to consider when switching and how to check you are getting all the benefits and help you are entitled to.

Go to an event

During the week hundreds of local events will be run by our partner organisations, helping people to find out how they can make a big difference by helping to save money and energy. Find your closest event on our map.

Use our ‘20 ways to save’ guide

Our new ‘Ways to save [ 1.3 mb]’ list has 20 tips to help inspire small and positive changes throughout the week.

Let us know how you get involved

Follow the Citizens Advice and Energy Saving Trust Twitter and Facebook pages and let us know how you get involved. Remember to add #BESW20 to any posts.

If you have any enquiries about Big Energy Saving Week, please email campaigns@citizensadvice.org.uk.
Here is the full article: Big Energy Saving Week 2020 (Citizen's Advice)

What ways do you save energy? Are there things that use more energy because of your disability? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   These are the ones I use to save energy.  Have done every time moved in to a home.

1.   Look on line for companies use WHICH website.

https://www.which.org.uk.

Often have advice, information comparison site webpage.

2. Use on line webchat and speak to on line advisors.

Often very useful done several time since . No phones .

3.  Discuss with Energy Companies practical solutions, ways to save money.

Lot of  Companies have accessibility units or schemes for our Community on a range of service, information advice and guidance.

Even signposting you to assist you, got free energy light bulbs.

Offer Warm Front Schemes discounts and other general practical information sent to you Email

You have to ask, they do not say.  Some do some do not. Also argue price negotiate to the on line chat room.

Done this a lot.  If you wrong tariff or need to add price rises too much.

Look at bills talk to them, before in debt. Confusion a lot of the bills on line can read this be more effective contact them.

4.  One other lap top, cooker and TV anything electrical turn off switch off.t so switch them off at the mains and back on when you wish to use them.

Examples are TV, Cooker and Computer, laptop, switch that all off before going to retire to bed.

Pull out plugs.

Not broadband modem.

5. Blinds curtains draw stay closed retain heat. Morning Evening  heating put on, close doors keep windows shut.

If leaving a room close the doors.

Warm air rises so use it effectively.

Can retain in a room for a long time.

6.  Cooking simple ones. Slow cooker use for meals . Low energy and effective time saver.

I need to use always for Chicken and Turkey joints.

Use stock pot and fill it with vegetables stock joint and to Oven saves using two or three separate pans.

Use and buy tin foil containers bulk buy tin foil conducts heat use this with any pieces of meat or fish or need to use roasting tin buy. Tin Foil ones can be disposal .

No washing up saves money using water and energy and some can be reused.

Any thing long slow cooks saves energy. Pre cook first then to oven or slow cooker.

Use the right pan and the right portions of food for numbers.

No point having a big stock pot or pan on the hob if it for one.

Microwaves useful heating defrosting vegetables minimum fuss and precook then add to pot.

Get ahead.

Food items you constantly eat or use do one batch big cook freeze in numbers, portions do not have to do again a couple of months.

I do this with Turkey meatballs cook big batched freeze and into tinfoil, zip bags after cooled down.

Means when making a meal just warmed through after defrosting fridge .

Less time heat on the hob.

7.  Important freezer be and fill it up . Unfilled freezer losing energy and costing you money.

Buy certain ingredients sliced bread, frozen veggies, fruit bulk out your freezer.

Use this with sauces, stocks, soups use tin foil containers on line companies. Amazon do a deal.

Never leave the freezer door open loses energy freezer has to go cold again, use zip bags and clip bags to store anything.

Packed tight out of commercial bags easier portion control and use the time limited to remove.

Be aware half empty freezer , need to be filled costs more to run.

8.  Fridge the same, as above no warm food let it go cold then to a container chill in sink first.

Warm food breeds bacteria and rises temperature costing you money.

9.  When leaving rooms switch off lights.

Use lamps and bedside one for saving money, energy.

10. Switch evaluate and consider the costs, change constantly.

Your in control no good customer policy loyal any more.

I have changed used around a lot of companies and not the major ones.

Not happy not helping leave.

I use these methods to help me.

Hope that helps any one.

Thank you for reading.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Noticed web address wrong, this one.

https://www.which.co.uk.

Has a lot of useful information on energy and useful advice.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • OSCAR1
    OSCAR1 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Hi all I see one of the topics is how to save energy I, m on pay as you with Scottish Power and there prices are probably like the rest exsturtinate bulb seem one of the best suppliers but they don't do pay as you go also it's annoying that there is probably thousands out there who are on the same PAYG..and the likes of us pay more with this system has anyone got any suggestions for a PAYG company that's is reasonably priced where Iive we only have electric there's no gas thanks... 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Manchesterunited777   Thank you for your post.

I would speak to the consumer organisation WHICH.

https://www.which.co.uk.

Often has an advisors to speak to.

I had a key system basically top up with an amount of money.

Enter key into machine, hated it.

Cost me a lot per week.  Consulted Energy Company had it removed you pay the cost.

Consulted Housing Association as previous tenant abused this system.

When new tenant me arrived discovered massive debt on machine.

Conned system this former tenant.

Housing Association removed all machines.

Direct Debit all energy discounts many Companies use on line .

Companies lots small ones on line.

Supermarkets getting involved as well.

Obvious benefits.

Please if I can help further please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness