Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits

Gfish1967
Gfish1967 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi guys I'm on esa & pip, my dilemma is my son has asked to move back in with me but I'm afraid of losing benefits, at present hes unemployed but will be back working full time come April, can anyone help Tia 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gfish1967

Welcome it’s great to meet you this morning.

I’m one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope?

Can I please pass you onto a good friend who knows more about Benefits?

Hi @poppy123456

Good Morning, can you please help me with this post ????

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @steve51 for the tag.

Hi and welcome @Gfish1967

If you’re claiming housing benefit this won’t be affected because of your PIP and there won’t be any non dependent deductions.

If you’re currently living alone and you receive the severe disability premium In with your ESA then this will stop if your son moves in with you, unless he also claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care.

Also if you’re living alone then you will be receiving the single person council tax reduction which will also stop if your son moves in. All changes must be reported.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gfish1967
    Thank u both so much for your help, it's only myself that gets disablement with my esa, so yes this would mean I would loose £200, will need to talk to him some more because that's a big dent in my money & he will only get jsa,  thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. Yes indeed SDP is £65.85 per week and on top of that you would also lose your single person council tax, which in total between the 2 would be more than £200 per month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gfish1967 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Gfish1967
    Thank u nice to meet you too?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.