SDP backpay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP backpay

TB18
TB18 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have been in receipt of PIP and ESA for a few years. I recently applied for help with housing benefit, and through doing this I found out that I was entitled to SDP. I was awarded it on Dec 3rd 2019. I had no idea that I was entitled to this all along, and I’m disappointed that I missed out on this money which would have helped make my circumstances easier financially. My question is... Is there anyway that I might be entitled to back payments for the time I didnt know I was entitled to this help. Thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

If you were able to claim housing benefit then you must have been claiming the SDP before you claimed housing benefit, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to claim housing benefit, because all areas are now a full Universal Credit area.

Backdated money for the SDP can be backdated to the date you original qualified yes but whether you would have been entitled to it will depend on your circumstances. You will need to ring DWP and speak to them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TB18 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • TB18
    HI and welcome,

If you were able to claim housing benefit then you must have been claiming the SDP before you claimed housing benefit, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to claim housing benefit, because all areas are now a full Universal Credit area.

Backdated money for the SDP can be backdated to the date you original qualified yes but whether you would have been entitled to it will depend on your circumstances. You will need to ring DWP and speak to them.
    Hi Poppy I thank you for your advice. When I applied for housing benefit, and I was refused, they told me to contact ESA as I should be entitled to this payment. I was awarded SDP from Dec 2019. Before I changed over to PIP I was receiving higher rate DLA. I rang ESA to ask could I apply to have money back dated and they said it was up to me to know about this benefit and apply for it. I have put forward a letter and if that is refused then I will take it to appeal. Thanks again for your help. 
  • TB18
    I was hoping for some advice on this matter as I’m not sure what to do. I was awarded SDP in December 2019 after I claimed for housing benefit. I wasn’t aware that I was entitled to this benefit despite that I’ve been receiving ESA since 5/2/2013. I submitted a mandatory Reconsideration notice because I felt I should be back dated as didn’t know I was entitled to this premium. I have received their decision which they are saying no on the grounds that I when I was awarded ESA or equivalent back in 2013 that my youngest daughter was living with me, and that I didn’t inform them she had moved out and that I lived alone. When my daughter moved out in 2015 I was advised to notify them in writing which I did do. Sadly I didn’t keep a photo copy of that letter, nor do I recall receiving a letter from them to confirm my correspondence. I would like to appeal their decision, but I’m not sure what to do. I felt so cheated when I found out about SDP that I was entitled to and I never knew. When I rang them to ask why I got extra money, and they told me, and I said how annoyed I was that I didn’t know about it, they said it was up to me to apply for it....  Thank you for your time... 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    TB18 said:
    I was hoping for some advice on this matter as I’m not sure what to do. I was awarded SDP in December 2019 after I claimed for housing benefit. I wasn’t aware that I was entitled to this benefit despite that I’ve been receiving ESA since 5/2/2013. I submitted a mandatory Reconsideration notice because I felt I should be back dated as didn’t know I was entitled to this premium. I have received their decision which they are saying no on the grounds that I when I was awarded ESA or equivalent back in 2013 that my youngest daughter was living with me, and that I didn’t inform them she had moved out and that I lived alone. When my daughter moved out in 2015 I was advised to notify them in writing which I did do. Sadly I didn’t keep a photo copy of that letter, nor do I recall receiving a letter from them to confirm my correspondence. I would like to appeal their decision, but I’m not sure what to do. I felt so cheated when I found out about SDP that I was entitled to and I never knew. When I rang them to ask why I got extra money, and they told me, and I said how annoyed I was that I didn’t know about it, they said it was up to me to apply for it....  Thank you for your time... 

Hi,

Does your daughter have proof of when she moved out? Maybe a tenancy agreement from where she lived? Also at that time did you claim for single person discount with your council tax? that may also help if you have proof of that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TB18
    Thank you so much for your reply. I’m not sure if she has, but if not, I’m sure we could get a copy. I didn't apply for single person discount for council tax as I didn’t know I could do that. I shall pursue my appeal and see what happens. I feel I have been cheated by the benefits system. I had to sell my home because I couldn’t afford my mortgage payments. This benefit would have allowed me to have kept it. I so appreciate your advice. This is a great forum for advice and support. Thank you again and.... Take good care. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.