Suffering with Depression & Anxiety and scored ZERO on PIP Assessment- Shocked, any advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Suffering with Depression & Anxiety and scored ZERO on PIP Assessment- Shocked, any advice please

Martin2019
Martin2019 Community member Posts: 33 Connected

Hello, firstly I would like to say thank you to the many contributors on here. I have read many posts during my application for PIP but never joined to post until now.

I applied for PIP September 2019, then had my PIP assessment in Bradford in December 2019 and have today received my Decision Letter to say I am not being awarded any PIP and scored ZERO.

Firstly a bit of my back story, I suffered several Mental Health break downs on various levels in 2017, 2018 and 2019. During this time I ended up leaving work due to depression and anxiety and also suffering high blood pressure. I applied for Universal Credit and was quickly awarded LCWRA ( Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity ) which means, for those that do not know I was and I am not required to seek work or prepare for work as I am deemed not well enough to do so. I still have LCWRA now.

I completed an online PIP "self Test" before I applied for PIP and it was very clear to myself and my family that helped me that I would be entitled to some form of PIP and scored highly.

When I went to the assessment I was very anxious and sweated profusely in he waiting area and during the assessment. I also cried due to being so anxious in the reception area and during the assessment.

I answered honestly with regards to all of the questions ( I wont go into detail ) but the long and short of it is that the Decision Letter seems to highlight several things in my assessment THAT DID NOT HAPPEN and is based on severe lies. One example is that the DM has said I did not look anxious/ did not sweat and that I managed to walk from the reception area unaided so therefore I have no mobility problems! WHAT ACTUALLY happened was that I sweated profusely, cried as I entered the room then told the assessor about attempting suicide and was offered a water as I needed a break to gather myself together.

I am going to call up on Monday ( its weekend today ) and request a copy of my assessment. I could do with some advice of information of what I should send it with my Mandatory Reconsideration.

If anyone ever needs any assistance with LCWRA I have had experience on that fairly in depth including Mandatory Reconsideration etc, so happy to help with that if anyone needs guidance.

Comments

• gerrys6
    gerrys6 Community member Posts: 171 Courageous
    I think you should do the mandatory appeal 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's also not about not being able to work. PIP and LCWRA are 2 completely different benefits, with different criteria and being award LCWRA doesn't help a PIP claim.

Completing the online PIP self test if you don't fully understand the PIP descriptors means it's very easy to score yourself points when you may not score as many as you think. Having some understanding of the criteria and what the descriptors mean will always help. Start here by taking some time to read through this long link but it will be worth it.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. This should be put in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Send relevant evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

It will be handy to see the report but it's not vital you have it to write the MR letter because the decision letter will tell you where you scored those points, if you scored any. If you do decide to wait for the report you should avoid mentioning any lies that may have been told because DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those. You can't prove what did or didn't happen during the assessment. Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers, details how to do that will be on their website.

Most MR decisions remain the same, so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Waiting times are huge in most areas and lots of people are waiting about a year for a hearing date. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Martin2019
    Thank you - good advice about not arguing the assessment itself. It does come down to the descriptors and I feel
    shocked that I scored zero as in most points I would of scored something. I have a diary where I write down daily my thoughts / condition could I send that in with an MR? 
    Would speaking to y doctor who knows me we’ll assist / or a letter ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Martin2019    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help members of our community.

I have mental health issues anxiety depression with an addcition history also disabled.

Part of my role is to offer guidance, advise to community members have had the mental health history and addiction a long time.

Wealth of experience, knowledge on all aspects of dealing with mental health plus additional expertise and qualifications in diet, nutritional and wellbeing.

I would always advise with any mental health conditions to find support. Get help, advice with your issues.

I used mental health charities the following links might be useful to you.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

They offer the following welfare and health advice, guidance on any issues with your mental health.

Information, knowledge, education on coping methods to use when anxious nervous or suffering the effects, symptoms of anxiety.

Also the benefit system advice , guidance, information. Would be supportive in situations like this. Speak on your behalf may intervene, assist you in all procedures assessments, form filling and tribunals.

Always recommended because they have the training, knowledge know how to word the forms. Fill them in for you.

Every time apply mental health charity used them for this purpose.

Now no support but do have the background, expertise and knowledge to cope, been doing this a long time.

Please if you have any problems associated with anxiety, depression can beneficial to look at your diet, nutrition.

Caffeine in Tea, Coffee, Cola, Chocolate causes anxiety to be worse. When we get anxious we reach for something to calm us down, unfortunately Caffeine is a Stimulant and makes it worse.

Avoid alcohol the same thing. Most people who are anxious reach again for the alcohol think it help but brings on depression.

Makes symptoms worse.

I would if you are doing this please contact me happy to advise and help.

To maintain a good heathy well balanced diet.  Lean Meat and plenty of fruit, vegetables.

Whole grains Pasta, Rice or Bread. Pulses, Beans aid restful sleep as does taking Milky drinks and stir in honey warm the mug or cup.

Insomnia a common factor as it is known sleep deprivation is a problem.

Another reason to join mental health charities have health advisors on and sessions on sleep medication, fitness and other health issues.

Nuts, if you have any allergies avoid, or speak to me happy again to be supportive. Include leafy green, Spinach, Eggs and Yoghurt natural or Greek useful antibacterial for stomach, bowel issues with anxiety.

Please I would recommend also speaking to your GP at any advice, guidance you need to talk and also they can offer a range of services to help you cope.

Please can I wish you well. Please I hope you read the links my friend @poppy123456 has provided for you.

Please any further questions please ask.

Please take care and best wishes for a positive outcome.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    Yes, you could send the diary for the MR. A letter from your GP isn't the best evidence to send because a GP won't know how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. They will only know the basics like medication and what appointments you've had.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Martin2019
    Hi - putting my evidence together - any other suggestions of actual “ evidence “ I should put together ? How’s the best way to disagree with the actual assessment ? 60% of what has been written in the assessment is so far from what happened I am wondering if an error has occurred somehow ?
  • poppy123456
    What evidence you send will depend on your conditions and how your affected.

You don't disagree with the report and point out the lies/contradictions because you can prove that did or didn't happen.DWP and Tribunal won't be interested in any of that. Complaints regarding the report should be sent to the health assessment providers.

What you need to do is put where and why you think you should have scored those points. Then add a couple of real life examples for each descriptor that applies to you. Please see my previous comment.
  • Martin2019
    Thank you - got my knickers in a twist over it all !! 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Martin2019   Please can I ask did you ever contact any of the links I provided for you the mental health charities?

They would help here be calming, reassure in assisting you.

Please reconsider if you have not often the best support and advice you need to deal with what you going through.

I used all three had positive results lots of opportunities and information to help me in personal circumstances.

The assessments for example would talk to you before and discuss what to debate or say.

All my floating support spoke first then me, often to a few questions and got outcomes happy with.

You mentioned putting evidence together advise with that, offer right information to add..

Help is there if you wish for it.

If you get support more evidence shows results.

Just a thought.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Martin2019
    Hi yes I did - I took the first steps to get the right counselling and also a support worker locally who is going to come to my home. It’s amazing how much help Is out there when you try, thank you
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really glad to hear this @Martin2019, how are you finding it?
    Scope

• Martin2019
    Really glad to hear this @Martin2019, how are you finding it?
    Thank you- really good have been referred through NHS now for some therapy. Also had somebody good phone conversations with support teams. It is helping get in a better frame of mind to start working out how to write my MR for PIp
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great news! Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help. :)
    Scope

• anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 162 Pioneering
    Hi yes I did - I took the first steps to get the right counselling and also a support worker locally who is going to come to my home. It’s amazing how much help Is out there when you try, thank you
    Hi, how did you get a support worker? What do you have to do/who to contact? 
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456

Hi, how did you get a support worker? What do you have to do/who to contact? 
    Thanks 

You will need to refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local council first. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.