Really worried , short face to face — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Really worried , short face to face

tina77
tina77 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
My son had his first fa e assessment the other day . It only lasted 25 minutes and not a lot of questions where asked . He has not been diagnosed but has gone through school with a 1 to 1 and had a reader and extra time for his gcses he failed them all with them all being u Mark's . He suffers with anxiety and behaviour issues. His reading and writing age is 6 . He is now on a entry level course in college and has a council provided taxi from my door to college and then home again . I'm just really worried that some questions I should of explained better but it all seemed rushed . He wasnt asked about managing money , or she didnt do any tests with him ? Anyone

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

The length of time of the assessment doesn't mean anything at all and you can't really speculate anything at this stage. During an assessment once they have asked all the questions they have then that it, the assessment will end. My shorted assessment has been 10 minutes but my longest has been 80 minutes and awards were successfully given for them all.

All you can do is wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You'll still need to wait for the decision though and there's no timescales for this. Hopefully not too long but you've done all you can in the meantime.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tina77 and a very warm welcome to the community!

I can understand how daunting they can be. The time of the assessment is no reflection on what award your son will get, as the supporting evidence and what you wrote on the form is taken into consideration. 

You can ring up in a weeks time and request a copy of the report. This will let you know what has been written, but also what award the assessor recommends. It is rare the decision maker will go against this so it's a good indication about what to expect.

Please do let us know how you get on. :) 
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry @poppy123456, I must have been writing my response when you replied so it only showed when the page refreshed.
    Scope

• poppy123456
    @Chloe_Scope no problem at all :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tina77
    Ok thank you . The only thing I'm reading so many posts and she asked him does he play a console and he told her he plays one game on the xbox but she didnt ask him how he plays it , I've read that if they can play a console they can make decisions? Also she asked him does he have a mobile phone he answered yes she asked does he make calls he said no she asked does he send messages he said no ( he cant read ) but again he plays a game on it . He has help on the xbox by either me or his brothers I just feel that I should of said something but it was already on his form how he uses it ? I will phone In a weeks time.  Thank you 
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    My face to face was only about 25 minutes but I still got awarded standard rate care and mobility...however I got marked down on mobility because I drive (not a problem for your son) so I think some HCP are quite efficient in twisting things to suit their own agenda, hope your son gets the award he deserves x
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    Coming on an internet forum and reading all the negative stories is probably the worst thing you can. It's natural that those who aren't happy with their decision will share their story. Those that have had a decision they are happy with don't share their story because they have no questions to ask.

It's impossible to speculate anything at this point.
  • tina77
    I guess that is true . The peadeatric doctor he seen last has been disappointed how he hasn't had the care over the years but has now referred him to a social worker . Also his tutor in college has told me to look into direct payments for someone to take him out and work on his life skills she said by her experience he should have 4-6 hours a week ? . It's just a shame if I have to fight for what he deserves. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    A short face 2 face could well mean that you explained things well on the forms, as above give it about 7 working days and tele and ask for a copy of the assessment (PA4)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• tina77
    Woodbine I hope that is the case as it was a member of the dwp who came to my home to help with the forms he was very thorough and was watching my son do things that I do not even notice as it's just our normal stuff . Thank you for all your replies 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tina77 - Everything should be taken into consideration; as mentioned above, if all was well detailed in your son's forms then that was likely why not all questions were asked as you'd already given a perfectly adequate explanation.
    Please do ask for the copy of his assessment, & let us know the outcome.
    I'm pleased to read his current paediatrician is giving some helpful input, & also his college tutor. It's very difficult when you have to fight for what your son deserves, but hope things may improve now for you both.

• tina77
    @chiarieds I have put a new post up of the report 
    . It was not good at all

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.