Advice on keeping spirits up — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on keeping spirits up

lozpowpow
lozpowpow Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lozpowpow

Good Afternoon & Welcome ?

I’m one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Can you please let us know a bit more about yourself & if there’s anything that we can offer you???

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lozpowpow - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. How are you today?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @lozpowpow :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • lozpowpow
    lozpowpow Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone. So new to this but I’m struggling at the mo and definitely in need of some support. I have a loving and supportive family and my husband is supportive, however sometimes I find that unless someone deals with pain daily it’s hard for them to fully understand. I have bad lower back pain. Had it since I was about 12 (36 now) and just feel like it’s taking over and it’s really getting me down mentally. I have 2 boys, 6 and 2 and it’s hard sometimes to keep up with them lol I’ve tried many things and still in the process of osteopath, Pilates etc but wondered if anyone had any advise on how to keep spirits high and have a feel good approach to just keep going??
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lozpowpow - I'm sorry that you have had bad lower back pain for so long, & it can't be easy with 2 young boys. I do have some understanding as I've had the same since I was about 13, & suffice to say my son is now 33!
    Have you discussed your problems with your GP as they may be able to advise?
    Your approach with exercise is good I know as a physiotherapist (altho I haven't worked as such for a very long time), but I would get in touch with your GP also. 
    In the meanwhile you might look at relaxation exercises including diaphragmatic breathing, which can help reduce stress. See: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf  visualisations, mindfulness & distraction (reading, listening to music, watching a film, etc).
    I'm here each day if you want to talk, & very happy to offer support.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lozpowpow and a warm welcome to the community!

This year I have started using a gratitude journal to list 3 things every day that I'm grateful for. It's helped to keep me focused and appreciate the small things. :)
    Scope

Brightness