Sleep/ How to fall asleep — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sleep/ How to fall asleep

Broken_Artist
Broken_Artist Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I have been having a lot of trouble with this for a long time now and it's one of the hardest things for me to deal with. I used to be a person that could sleep no problem and I could sleep anywhere, in a car, on public transport; even on an airplane. Let me just say Sleep was bliss, it was a warm softball of safety that I loved. Since my pain started I have found it increasingly hard to deal with this as I can no longer sleep the same way. I can't lie on my sides because it causes the pain in my abdomen to become increasingly unbearable (same situation for my back and stomach) In saying this Some positions are more comfortable than others but I am struggling to find them and the tossing and turning of repositioning myself night after night, just makes the pain worse.

The one good thing is I can still nap I think because I get so tired from just getting ready for the day, that by lunchtime I am both mentally and physically drained from the pain. so I have to sleep because if I don't then I'm useless, I won't be able to do anything for myself. I have had a few decent nights scattered very few and far between where I manage to get to sleep and then stay asleep, those nights I love and it's also sad because it reminds me of how things used to be, how I could be up all day and then SNAP out like a light. 
I don't think I would mind the crappy sleep if there was something to do that could keep my mind busy until I felt crazy tired but nothing. I am up most nights until 3 am or sometimes even earlier before my body finally conks out for a few hours. starting the same messed up pattern all over again. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Broken_Artist   Pleased to meet you.

Often so many misconceptions about sleep.  I am afraid a lot of it is all to-do with several things pain can be difficult to sleep with as you mentioned.

The other is diet and nutrition, even getting older this myth of 7 hours needed not so.

As we age older need less sleep.

One of the main pieces of advice is the food we eat and the way we prepare to sleep.

First there are rules and these include avoid the following caffeine in tea, coffee and chocolate and cola.

No alcohol , no heavy spicy food or large meals or greasy snacks or anything like that.

Following helps.  Whole grains Pasta, Rice, Potatoes , Wholemeal bread and pulses, beans.

If you eat Pasta or Potatoes at lunch time make you tired.

Lean meat and vegetables, plenty of fruit yoghurt and eat well three hours or more.

Milky drinks microwaved with honey stirred in, bowls of oats porridge.

With bananas have in it.  Serotonin aids sleep.

Certain foods include tryptophan this is a chemical sends you sleep.

Found in Nuts, Tuna, Chicken, Turkey. Old folklore tale works Horlicks l use with honey in it.

Lettuce sandwich another one with lean Ham.

Bake beans on baked potatoes.

This is organisation will help.

https://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk.

Other tips lose weight that helps plus no exercise or on the computer no watching of TV .

Near to bed time, turn off all devices, nice and relaxed , calm music.

Do not think of sleep body will sleep only if the mind is not wired.

I have this myself learnt a lot went to Sleep Clinic.

Had addiction serious sleep problems, days were night a sleep. Night were days for a long time.

Clean sorted mental health remains use this knowledge experience and have qualifications to advise members.

One other mention this charity deals with pain, lots on here.

https://www.awaywithpain.co.uk.

Please ask me anything happy to help anytime.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Broken Artist,
    As you can see from the time on my post, I have the same problem. I have spina bifida so also suffer from pain and struggle to get into a comfortable position in my bed. I have started taking CBD oil and I also have a sleep app on my iPad that helps but like you I get bored at night, but chatting on here helps. Such lovely, helpful people on here. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Broken_Artist, thank you for taking the time to share this with us, I'm sure a lot of people will be able to relate. Have you seen your GP about this? I know things like postural support or sleep systems can help with getting to sleep. 

Please do let us know how you get on!
    Scope

• Broken_Artist
    @thespiceman Thank you for the advice Both sites will be very helpful, and I am now looking into both sites :) 
  • Broken_Artist
    @Rifi7 I am busy getting CBD oil to try out to see if it helps, I am taking baths with magnesium salts and it seems to dull the pain a lot better than any of the pain killers that I have been using 
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Broken_Artist
    I am not medically trained and you should see your doctor but I have found that the CBD oil has really helped me. I recently went to see my consultant and he says many of his patients are now on CBD oil. I have suffered from Chronic back pain most of my adult life. I have been on many pain killers throughout my life but found that the CBD oil has helped me so much. I do take the oil alongside a small dose of my pain killers but you have to check which tablets you can take with the oil. As I have mentioned, I’m not medically trained so I would advise that you speak to your GP about the CBD oil. 
  • avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    Before I was able to have a proper sleep every night, now I have a chronic pain condition my hip pain and neck pain, every night I can’t sleep well due to the pain waking me up or I can’t sleep because of the pain. I am having an ultra articular injection for my hip joint so I am hoping this will take the pain away permanently or temporary so they know what treatment to do for my hip, I am also getting referred for physio which I have had in the past but this physio who I’m seeing is a hip physiotherapist as I have got tight hamstrings at the back of my legs so hopefully this might help my posture straighten up. 

Brightness