Hi, my name is hali! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is hali!

hali
hali Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi
how are you?
I need to start new PIP CLAIM .
my question is how long will take to get an appointment ? 
Would I put us on UC  automatically after my claim is succeful? 
As I don’t like this new UC. 
Thank you

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @hali Have you claimed PIP before? Waiting times for appointments can vary. Unfortunately, you will not be put on Universal Credit automatically if your PIP claim is successful, you would need to apply for UC separately as the 2 benefits are completely different.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • hali
    thanks Ami2301
    No this is the first time. I have already booked my summer holiday with the kids to so their extended family . What happen if I get my appointment in that period, can you change the date ?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not entirely sure, so I will tag my friend @poppy123456 so she can advise :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Thanks for the tag @Ami2301

UC and PIP are 2 completely different benefits and claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to UC. Whether you're entitled to UC will totally depend on your circumstances. If you claim other benefits then claiming UC could mean those others benefits will stop. More information is needed before i can advise further.

Regarding your PIP claim, there's no timescales for assessment waiting times or decisions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hali
    @poppy123456
    Im claiming some benefits this is way I don’t want to be put on UC,I read bad review and bad experience from people who were on that new scheme.
    now , I have being advice by heath professional that I could be entitle to PIP. But not sure what would happen and how long it will take, and would happen if I get an appointment, can I change the date?
  • poppy123456
    Claiming PIP would not mean you'll need to claim UC because this isn't classed as a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC. PIP and UC are completely different, with totally different criteria.

I have no idea where you are with your claim so difficult to advise but you will need to fill out the form with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Relevant evidence should be sent with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Once you send the form back DWP will then send it to the health assessment providers and you'll most likely have to attend a face to face assessment. There's no timescales for assessments or decisions but a claim for PIP could potentially take several months possibly longer.

Yes, once you have the assessment date then you can change it once, if you're unable to attend the first one.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • hali
  • hali
    Hi
    I got my PIP FORM. I’m a bit worried about my absence of 5 weeks in a summer for tha last year,and how will that affect my claim . If I don’t mention it, will that affect my claim ?
    thankd
  • poppy123456
    If you mean a 5 week holiday then you can go away for 13 weeks when claiming PIP BUT if you're claiming any other benefits like ESA Income Related then the maximum you can go away for is 28 days. Any longer than this, if it's a holiday then your benefits will stop.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.