Please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please help

Greg75
Greg75 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
My wife has stopped work to care for me and was told to apply for ESA however all they did was add £38 a week to my ESA and not give her any to which she was told she would get . Is there any other benefits she would get ? JSA ? Thank you Greg 

Comments

• Greg75
    My wife stopped work to care full time for me and was told to fill in an ESA form however they added £38 a week to my ESA however nothing for her ? Could she apply for JSA etc as we are short of when she was working? Thanks Greg 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Greg75   Please thank you for your post.

Please going to tag in my good friend @poppy123456 be able to help you.

Has expertise and knowledge to advise you.

Please take care be in touch soon.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @thespiceman for the tag,

Hi,

I've seen from a previous thread of yours that you were claiming Contributions based ESA and you are also claiming Enhanced rate for both parts of PIP, your wife also claims carers allowance, is this all still correct?

If it is then because your wife is claiming carers allowance then i'm afraid she won't be able to claim New style JSA because the carers allowance will be classed as an overlapping benefit.

The ESA you are claiming is because you are now claiming as a couple, with your wife added to the claim. May i ask how much ESA you're claiming every fortnight? then i'll be able to advise you if this amount is correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Greg75
    It is now £298 every 2 weeks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    That's the correct amount for a couples ESA claim when your partner is claiming carers allowance. Part of the extra money you receive is for your partner.  They will also be receiving the carers allowance of £66.15 per week separately.

As advised, she won't be able to claim JSA because of the carers allowance claim and also because you're claiming ESA now as a couple.

You maybe better off claiming UC instead of the ESA BUT i would advise you to speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check but claiming UC you would be entitled to the LCWRA element, as well as the carers element. I do believe you were given advice about claiming UC on a previous thread of yours.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.