Can my husband claim any benefits? — Scope | Disability forum

Can my husband claim any benefits?

janetfishwick Member Posts: 1 Listener
My husband has been Ill  for 9 weeks and has been in hospital for 3 weeks with vasculitis and a pulmonary haemmorage.He is off work and unlikely to return due to poor  health. He will be on medication for the predictable future. He is currently taking 14 tablets daily to manage his condition. His mobility is severely compromised by his inability to breathe normally due to lung damage. He is unable to get upstairs and has to  sit down to enable his swollen bloated feet ( water retention because of the 6 steroid tablets daily) to reduce in swelling.
Please could you tell me if there are any benefits he could claim as a result of his illness, and if so, how do I beghin the process of application?
Jp. Fishwick (Mrs)


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,515 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

    I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

    I'm sorry to hear this and i hope he recovers soon. For the benefits because he works then he will need to look at claiming SSP from his employer first. This is paid for 28 weeks and he will need a fit note to be able to claim this. Link here.

    Once this has ended he maybe entitled to New style ESA IF he's paid enough NI contributions in the year April 2017 to March 2019. He can start a claim 3 months before the SSP ends but he won't receive any money until SSP stops. He will need a fit note from his GP and an SSP1 form from his employer to be able to claim this, when the time comes.

    In the meantime while claiming the SSP, if he claims tax credits, then this will continue while he claims the SSP. If he doesn't claim tax credits, he can look at Universal Credit BUT this is a means tested benefit and claiming it will depend on both of your circumstances. This will include, savings/capitol and income from you, if you work. His SSP will also be taken into consideration and be classed as income. My advice here is to use a benefits calculator to see if you maybe entitled to it. If you put all of your details in correctly then it will tell you if you're entitled. He will also need a fit note from his GP to be able to claim limited capability for work.

    PIP, this isn't means tested BUT he needs to have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. If he's been ill for 9 weeks, then he won't qualify for this at the moment.

    Once those 3 months have passed, he can start a claim, providing he's not still in hospital. Those that have been in hospital for more than 28 days are not entitled to PIP.   PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect his ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support his claim and a face to face assessment is most likely. A successful claim could take several months, maybe longer.

    Hope this helps.

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595

    Scope community team

    Hello @janetfishwick. How are you and your husband getting on? The benefits system can be a bit of a minefield. Have you made any headway? 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.