Back dated pip - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back dated pip

Options
2»

Comments

• kirstyleigh
    kirstyleigh Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Adrian. Ive not slept all night as I've been so upset and worried about this, trying to find out how I can get money that I am legally entiyled to paid to me. I was advised by universal credit essentials who have been great with other issues thd same as what you've stated, and you know ehat its like, you don't know who to believe! This being a disability forum I assumed the advice I was receiving here to be more accurate. However both are now saying the same, so will see what happens regarding my PIP and housing back pay. You are correct in your assumption regarding my lha.
    I was a student when my PIP was stopped, which in turn affected my entitlement to ESA and then housing benefit. Is there anything I can do regarding the money I would have been entitled to at that time, now? I moved on 30/04/2018, so should have been entitled to ESA with SDP and housing benefit from 31/01/2018 - 30/04/2018. I had to move as I had no money and couldnt look after myself anymore, and have spent the ladt two years being passed around between friends until july last year. Its been a horrific 2 years, and my firends and I have suffered a lot. I have housing benefit arrears from that period, which i shouldnt now have. Any advice on how to rectify that is much appreciated!! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @kirstyleigh. How are you getting on? 
    Your first step would be to contact the SDP line and ESA and explain the situation. It's more complicated with you being a student but I imagine there could be some backpay due.

Have you heard anything about your UC underpayment yet? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • kirstyleigh
    kirstyleigh Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Adrian_Scope

I received the backpay this morning actually, two weeks after my tribunal. I was really surprised at how quick it was. Only received the letter on saturday, so got a lot to try sort this morning.

At the time, my student loan almost zeroed my ESA award, however the fact that there was an underlying entitlement meant I was entitled to HB. First thing today is contacting SDP and ESA, and ensuring any awards are updated I guess, and take it from there. 

Im so happy I dont need to worry about PIP for the next two years now. Theyve said they will write to me after Jan 2022 (I was awarded until Jan 2023) to check entitlement - but I have heard that those awarded at tribunal often dont get contacted? Can you offer advice on if I will maybe need to chase them up, when I should do that, to ensure there is no break?

Needing to think wisely now what to spend some of the money on, so it doesnt impact negatively on my UC (dont want to get into trouble for deprivation of capital!)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm glad you received your PIP backdated money so quickly.

As you were awarded by a Tribunal then you will be contacted about 14 weeks before your award is due to end.

The money you received for your backpay is disregarded for 1 year for all means tested benefits. What you spend it on during this time is your decision. If after this time your total savings amount to (£6,000 before it affects the amount you're entitled to)  then you will need to report those changes to DWP. Hope this helps you to enjoy spending that money on exactly what you want :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.