Hi, my name is penguinmum! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is penguinmum!

penguinmum
penguinmum Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I'm a 42 year old single mum with a 2 year old very active son. Also a 21 year and 19 year old daughters and 2 year and 6 month old grandaughters.
Any way since teens I've had circulation and varicose problems.. may I add I do smoke which really doesn't help matters.
Had problems with blood clots in each of my pregnancies all but my last disappeared no problem. But when I fell pregnant just before 40 during last month my legs were so swollen they started leaking fluid. Got checked 2 blood clots and got put on twice daily warfrin. Was 2 weeks late with baby they had to insert a filer to my chest incase they travelled before they could induce me.
Had my son then 6 weeks after they took me off warfrin. Well since then I've had ulceration increasing and still that's 27 months and what started in 1 leg is now in both with severe pain swelling and a real struggle  
My doctors surgery is so bad I really don't know what to do. Also I'm on income support I get 219 pounds a month. I'm I entitled to any sort of disability 
Thanks 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @penguinmum - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read about the problems you've been having with swelling & ulceration. You really need your GPs advice & help with this, so I'm wondering in what way is your doctor's surgery so bad? Are the Drs unhelpful, or you have to wait a long time for an appointment?
    As far as other benefits go, I'll ask my friend @poppy123456 for her advice.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @penguinmum

Good Afternoon & Welcome ??

I’m part of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We all look ? after any new members and we offer both “help/support”

We have got a “Benefit Calculator” 
    on here which will give you a good idea on what “Benefits” are available for you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/calculate-your-benefits/

If you have a local CAB they will be a great help!!!! 

@steve51
  • penguinmum
    Thanks for reply.
    My surgery lost there contract with local council and all main doctors and my long time one all left. This was shortly after having my son. 
    Since then there a training surgery. Which really I don't understand but it's a triage austen they run on u call that day tell them problem and get call back then depending severity of it u then get an appointment which can be same day most of time. That's good but it's always different doctor and last time I went I got asked afterr telling them the pain I was. The maletter doctor asked why I'm not working.
    Now this is after on my notes should say I visit nurse 3 x a week for leg dressings an he never even looked at my legs. I get no pain relief and have completed lost my faith to point of changing surgery 
  • penguinmum
    Sorry few spelling mistakes. Meant triage system.
    Also male doctor
    And completely lost my  faith
    My son just home from nursery  concentration gone lol
  • steve51
    Hi @penguinmum

Yes I had to change my GP some years ago now.

The GP refused to give me my prescription meds from my Consultant.

To be honest I have never looked back as I don’t have any further problems. 

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with??

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    That is difficult how things become at your Drs surgery. So have you been getting your ulcers looked after recently? Just wondering, as when I had a leg ulcer several years ago, nurses visited me at home to change the dressings. One older nurse eventually helped my ulcer with an old-fashioned remedy that she thought always worked, & that was an iodine dressing.
    So, have you seen a Dr since you changed surgery, & have they been able to help?
  • penguinmum
    I've just settled my boy at me2 nursery so now I've 100% time on trying to get best help and care for this.
    Still at same surgery with now only once a week from 3 x a week.
  • penguinmum
    Also in beginning they used iodine and also manuka honey patches which worked well but I think there trying to save on costs and it's flaminol hydro and atruaman dressing with kerramax on top which honestly can sometimes make area worse. When they clean with prontasane don't know spelling it was burning my legs and also other things over past year has caused  area to burn but yet still tried to use. 
    Some nights I struggle sleeping with heat and cramps in legs and with a wee boy of 2 who's very active I struggle chasing him e,t.c 
    Checking out new surgery's at moment 
  • chiarieds
    Glad you're checking out a different surgery. Do say that the iodine or manuka honey patches worked better for you. I know how painful ulcers can be. When I had a second small one start a couple of years ago, just as my son was going to go on holiday, so I couldn't get to see a Dr., I got some iodine patches at the chemist, but they were expensive at over £15, but worth it, as they sorted it out. I do hope you can get to see a new Dr. soon. Please let us know how you get on.
  • steve51
    Hi @penguinmum

Have you had any joy with your GP Surgery???

Please please let me know if you have any problems!!!!!

I have found that “Sudocrem” is the only thing that touches my legs.

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,324 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

You say you’re receiving Income Support of £219 per month, are you sure it’s this amount? That’s very low amount because income support for you is £73.10 per week, paid fortnightly. Are you receiving any deductions for this?

Disability benefits would be PIP and this isn’t awarded based on a diagnosis, it’s how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence would be needed to support your claim, which should state how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. 

A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them. A successful claim could take several months.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • penguinmum
    Yes your right that's with deductions 
  • penguinmum
    Thanks for all comments and replies 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @penguinmum and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  Gosh, it sounds as though you have been through so much.  I hope things improve for you soon with your health and wish you all the best.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please just ask.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.