Self employed gardener — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Self employed gardener

Options
Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
I used to get WTC for this.
If I manage to get a few gardens again in the spring it's now coming under UC, and they've changed the rules for claiming it! Dont think I'd get it now. Makes me wish I'd stayed on it and not taken someone's advice to claim UC!
Ok it never made much money. Pin money somebody called it. But was more then I get now.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

WTC no longer exists and UC is different. If you have a limited capability for work, have you been sending in fit notes to start the work capability assessment process off?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Yes I'm waiting for the WCA. Was just amazed when I looked at the website. Now for self employed you have to have a business plan, make a profit, keep records, invoices etc. For 14 years I never did any of that! They have made things really hard, and hard to make money.
    If I get some gardens and manage to stay at it, I will lose 63p in the pound from my UC it says.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Some of that is correct and some isn't. If your self employed and claim UC then yes you will need send monthly figures to DWP.

The minimum income floor will apply to some people after 12 months of being self employed BUT for those that have been assessed as having limited capability for work, this doesn't apply.

Also once you're assessed, if the decision is LCW then you will have a work allowance.  How much work allowance you're entitled to will depend on your circumstances. If you claim the housing element it will be £287 per month, if you don't it will be £503 per month. This means that you can earn that amount of money before the deductions start to apply.

If you're given LCWRA then you'll also receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim, as well as all the above.

However, if you do work and claim UC and LCW then you do need to be careful because if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming LCW then it could go against you when the next decision is made on a reassessment. Same rules apply for PIP.

Hope this helps you understand UC a little more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @poppy123456
    I think so. Will have to go through it a few times but thank you, I think its clearer than their website! So if i get LCW i can earn 503 a month and still get full UC. Will i need to have invoices etc? Doubt if I'll get 503 a month. Never paid income tax so hope that wont change. Just want to get some extra money. 
    Thanks Poppy, I'm pretty sure I'd be entitled to that 503 limit.
    The work would be gardening or pet care, dog walking etc to avoid people contact as much as poss. That's never going to change. 
    I might ask job coach about it next time she phones, about taking on some gardens.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You would only receive the higher work allowance if your given LCW after the work assessment decision's been made and if you don't claim any housing element. If you do receive help with your rent with the housing element then you will receive the lower limit of £287 per month. You don't actually receive the money but you can earn that amount before you start to see a reduction.

• Bettahm
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Brilliant! No rent, so can earn up to 503 a month (wont get that much anyway) before they reduce the 317 (which I'm still not currently getting anyway).
    So I will need to send in proof of what I earn, so a receipt or something. Not invoices.
    Thank you Poppy
    Ps - after the WCA. Anything I get will be small but an extra bit a week will make a big difference. Something to look forward to.
    Hope I can find the gardens!
  • Bettahm
    Options
    I've done some maths, that is incredible, I've never earned that amount of money. Not that I will get enough from the gardens I hope to find but. It's a light at the end of a very long dark tunnel.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The work allowance will only apply if you're given LCW. May i ask why you're not currently receiving the standard allowance of £317 per month?
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @poppy123456
    I took the 300 advance when I started claiming, think that should be nearly all paid off. Also I was overpaid WTC and seem to have been paying that back forever but hopefully that's nearly over too.
    Thanks for your help and all the info today. It really has lifted my mood as I can start to see a bit of a future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.