Blue badge fraud up 18%, say official figures — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge fraud up 18%, say official figures

Geoark
Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Prosecutions for misuse of blue badges increased by nearly 18% in the last financial year in England, new figures have shown.
There were 1,432 prosecutions between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2019, according to a Department for Transport report.
But slightly more than a third (34%) of local authorities do not have a policy for prosecuting those who misuse badges, the release noted.
This is lower than in the previous year. But of the councils still without a policy only 65% are planning on implementing one in the future.
Most of the prosecutions (69%) were in London, and 99% involved non-badge holders using another person’s badge.
The North-East, the Midlands and East Anglia were the regions with the fewest prosecutions, each with fewer than 50 over the year.
DfT’s data shows the number of people with blue badges has dropped in recent years.
As of 31 March 2019, 4.1% of the population held a valid badge, down from 4.2% the previous year and 5% in 2010

Source: .https://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2019/12/blue-badge-fraud-18-say-official-figures

As an individual I stood alone.
As a member of a group I did things.
As part of a community I helped to create change!

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    These figures don’t surprise me, I, we all see maybe misuse of blue badges but can’t say anything because of the hidden disability issues?? It does annoy me when badge holders use a bay then remain in the car while the able bodied person does their shopping abuse of the badge.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I welcome the increase in prosecutions, misuse of the blue badge, at a time when many local councils have suffered significant losses in allowances and struggling to provide services misuse of the blue badge means a significant loss in revenue.

I am more concerned that the number of blue badges have fallen consistently in the last 9 years, as this is administered at the local government level, rather than by the national government level it would be interesting to know what is causing the fall in users.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    edited January 2020
    I don't know why most people give up having a Blue Badge, but I can tell you why my wife did.
    Even though she has Attendance Allowance at the top rate it does not help when applying for a Blue Badge. She had two with the last one finishing in August 2019. Twice she had to apply to the council, twice she had to fill out the long forms and twice she had to be assessed and twice she had to go round the hospital, doctors etc to get reports. Then the cost of new photos every three years. The application process is too cumbersome and you end up being made to think that you are a criminal at the assessments. Ridiculous in my opinion as she can hardly walk. She could not face another form and everything that goes with it so she never bothered renewing it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    skullcap said:
    I don't know why most people give up having a Blue Badge, but I can tell you why my wife did.
    Even though she has Attendance Allowance at the top rate it does not help when applying for a Blue Badge.
    AA doesn't automatically entitle anyone to a BB.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    edited January 2020
    I agree Poppy123456 having an Attendance Allowance award is not a passport to anything, Blue Badge, Motability and discounted road tax included. I don't really know why she claims it but does as it is her income in addition to the State Pension.

Brightness