Help concerning universal credit - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help concerning universal credit

2»

Comments

• JazzaG
    JazzaG Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Thanks so much for your help @poppy123456. Looking at the work capability assessment page you pointed me to, if I get a fair assessor, I should get about 30 points on the first three sections, as I have most problems with mobility and sitting or standing for more than a few minutes, with a few odd points from the rest of the sections. So no problems getting the 15 pints needed. I just need to get the ball rolling on that. I have taken 7 months worth of fit notes in up to now which cover me from October to April, I'm on my fourth assessment period now, so the sooner I can get the WCA the better. Thanks again Poppy for all your help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome, but please take a closer look at the link because part of those descriptors point to the LCW. You need to scroll down the link to see the LCWRA descriptors because they are slightly different. LCWRA is not about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least one of the descriptors the majority of the time.

For the mobilising activity they take into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair. If they think you can do that, then that descriptor won't apply to you.

Those descriptors are better explained here. Even though it states Support Group, LCWRA is exactly the same.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @JazzaG. Definitely call UC and speak to your case manager as you should have been referred for a WCA after the first month. 
    I just wanted to add, if the deductions are putting you in financial hardship, it may be worth you speaking with Debt Management to arrange to have your Tax Credit repayments lowered. They are usually quite good about this.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • JazzaG
    @Adrian_Scope thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely call them and see what they say. My work coach gave me the impression that I should just shut up and wait until someone noticed I was taking in fit notes and asked me to fill the form in'. He words were "don't worry, it will be picked up eventually". Doesn't instil much confidence in the process does it?
  • poppy123456
    If you're not happy with your work coach you can also request a different one.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • JazzaG
    @poppy123456 thanks again for your insights. I use an artificial lower limb and one crutch. I cannot use two crutches because I have spondylosis in my neck, which causes chronic severe pain in my head, neck and right shoulder. I also have wear and tear arthritis in my  hips and right knee and sciatica on my right side. The scar on my lower limb is in a constant state of flux, blistering and getting more painful and  inflamed each day until I have to leave my prosthesis off for a couple of days while it heals. Even if the scar is ok, the pain in my lower back and right side stops me from walking very far or standing up for too long. I also cannot sit in the same place for very long because it aggravates my lower back pain and my left knee starts to ache in the socket. I get enhanced rate mobility, all 12 points scored on the 2nd activity, and, although I know they don't take that into consideration, surely they should be able to see the same limited capability as the PIP assessors? I also take medication for high blood pressure and suffer from both stress and urge incontinence. Surely they would not refuse LCWRA because I don't use a wheelchair? I don't think I would be able to push the wheels round on both sides anyway, come to think of it. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

Although you scored 12 points in the moving around part of mobility PIP, the mobilising descriptor for the WCA is different. For this they take into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheel chair, if they think you can reasonably do this, then that descriptor won't apply to you. Even though you don't use a wheel chair, it doesn't matter because that is part of the descriptor and it will be considered.

For this reason when you fill out the form, i'd advise you to add some information about using a wheel chair and why you can't do this, regularly and reliably.

Even though PIP and ESA are different, it definitely won't hurt to send a copy of your PIP award and even the assessment report, with the work capability assessment form, as well any other relevant evidence you have to support your claim.
  • JazzaG
    Thanks again @poppy123456, I'll let you know how I get on.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.