Legacy Benefits & Universal Credit questions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Legacy Benefits & Universal Credit questions

wenglish1984
wenglish1984 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Hello everyone just looking for some help please as i worry about absolutely everything and this issue is really playing on my mind. Anyway i'm a stay at home father with 4 children and also now a full time carer for my partner.

My partner is/was the main earner and has been signed off work since october 2019 getting SSP, she also now as of this month receives enhanced pip on both parts. 

What i'm really worrying about is the legacy benefits that we currently receive, and because SSP is only paid for 28 weeks our working tax credits are due to stop in April 2020.

Because of this and the fact that her employer is now considering ending her employment under medical grounds i believe that this issue would cause a change in circumstances and trigger a new universal credit claim ???

I really hope i'm reading it wrong but to make matters worse it mentions that we also would miss out on the transitional protection if this happens.

Could someone possibly help and clarify if the above is correct ?

we currently receive the following 

Tax Credits 
Working Tax Credits with Disability premium 
Child Benefit 
Housing Benefit disability extras 
Council Tax Benefit disability extras 
Pip Higher Rate 
Pip Mobility Higher Rate 
Carers allowance (recent claim waiting )

Thank You 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hi,

If she's paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then once her SSP ends she can claim New style ESA, which is £73.10 per week. For this she will need a fit note from her GP and the SSP1 form from her employer. A claim can be started 3 months before the SSP ends but payment won't be received until it ends.

Claiming New style ESA will not prompt a move to UC.

Universal Credit could be claimed but the ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from the UC amount and you would claim as a couple. Of course, claiming this will end your tax credits and housing benefit but this will be run on for 2 weeks then transfer to UC.

My advice is to speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check because even though you won't receive transitional support protection, you could potentially be better off claiming UC as a couple as well as your partner claiming New style ESA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wenglish1984, do you have any other questions? Or things that need clarifying? :)
    Scope

• wenglish1984
    Hi @wenglish1984, do you have any other questions? Or things that need clarifying? :)
    Hello Chloe thanks for the reply im really grateful 

Yes my only issue i still have is if we 100% loose legacy benefits once the working tax credits stop at 28 weeks due to SSP ending ?

We really are worried about it stopping and then having to claim universal credits after hearing of all the horror stories etc and the time it takes to process, so having all our weekly money stopped instantly very worrying times ahead if we have to :( 

Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Legacy benefits will only stop in your situation if you claim UC but as i advised, you could be better off claiming UC then staying on the legacy benefit because you will lose your entitlement to working tax credits once the SSP ends.

Despite all the horror stories about UC not everyone is worse off when they claim it. Have you put your details into a benefits calculator to see how much UC you would be entitled to once the SSP ends? If used correctly they are very accurate.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all @wenglish1984! I hope @poppy123456 has been able to answer your question, if not then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• wenglish1984
    Thank you again @poppy123456 were very grateful for your time and knowledge

I have tried a benefits calculator but i think i might have filled it in wrong, what's the best one to use ? 
  • poppy123456
    I usually use this one and it's very accurate when i put my details into it. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ Like i said you maybe very surprised and you may not be worse off claiming UC against the benefits you already claim because once your SSP ends then your working tax credits will also end.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.