Epilepsy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Epilepsy

mac1976
mac1976 Community member Posts: 63 Listener
Morning I’ve been on here before about pip and epilepsy. I’ve been turned down. The report says I can use a microwave. So only got 2 points for cooking then points for bathing. It says on the letter that I opened the door to let the assessor in and walked normal into the lounge. I looked well with a normal complexion and dressed well. I sat unaided she did say I looked tried but mentioned nothing about the black I had. She said I didn’t look depressed and answered all questions asked. I didn’t look in any pain and I opened my own post. I don’t see how the way I dress is anything to do with my epilepsy I had a pair of leggings and a plain jumper. I can walk without pain. Just don’t understand it. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. You now have 1 month to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) which you should put in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. You should also add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applied to you.

You should avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because they won't be interested in any of those. Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers.

Do be aware than most MR decisions remain the same so you'll likely have to take it to Tribunal. Waiting times are huge across most of the country and you could be waiting a year for a hearing date.

I'd advise you to have a read of this link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @mac1976. Poppy is right. Unless your epilepsy affects you to the point where you can't function normally the assessors won't take it into consideration. I am epileptic and it isn't an unusual condition. It is quite common. I have got a friend who does get pip because of her epilepsy but hers is really bad. 
  • mac1976
    On no I’m not saying anyone has lied. I have about 5 to 6 fits a week. With no warning when she came I did explain that I was about just recovered. Please don’t think I’m slagging the assessor off. 
  • poppy123456
    For those with epilepsy it's all about the safety aspect. For example, do you need supervision while washing/bathing? If so why do you need this and what happened the last time you attempted this without supervision. This would only be 2 points, so you'll need to look at all the other daily living activities to see which others you think apply. You need 8 points for an award.

The mobility section would be following and planning a journey. Do you need someone with you when you go out? if so, why? These are the things you need to think about.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mac1976
    I’m not going to take it any further. I’ve got my last DLA payment next week. So going to leave it at that. I can’t be bothered anymore to be honest. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mac1976, sorry to hear that you have been turned down, we understand what you are saying and know you are not directing it towards the assessor.

@poppy123456 has provided you with some really helpful information about a Mandatory Reconsideration, but please do let us know if you want anything clarifying. :)
    Scope

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    I was assessed for a change from DLA to PIP and ended up £40 a week better off, as has been said its not about the fact that you have epilepsy but how it affects you, I have around 3 grand mal a week and several petit mal a day and need constant supervision both at home and when outdoors, I cannot cook due to the risk of and reallity of seizures, I need to be supervised whilst bathing and for other reasons I have problems dressing myself below the waist and cannot walk 20 metres without pain due to problems in both my legs.
    I must say that the assessor was knowledgable and fair, and the report more or less followed the assessment.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• mac1976
    It did say I can’t use a cooker but can use a microwave. 
  • mac1976
    I’ve been given points for bathing and toilet needs for wetting myself. I got 6 points. 
  • mac1976
    Plus the 2 points for cooking but can use a microwave 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @mac1976, how are you getting on?
    Scope

• mac1976
    I’m okay thank you. I’ve had my last DLA payment today so that it now. 
  • poppy123456
    Remember, you can still request the MR and then Tribunal, even if it’s longer than 1 month, with good reason it will be fine. 
  • mac1976
    Thank you for the advice I’m not taking it any further. I can’t be doing with the hassle. I’ve got no weight on my shoulders now. Just going to get on with my life without that to think about. My husband said he will work extra hours to cover me for what I’ve lost. 
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    I think you should ask for the mandatory reconsideration. 
    If you're having seizures without any warning and so unable to make yourself safe i you have a seizure when outside the home I'd have thought 11f (planning and following activity) would apply. 
  • mac1976
    I haven’t got the confidence at the moment to do anything. I’ve had a bad time this past few weeks. Im not going to try and explain myself again to be told no. It’s not meant to be. I’m not fighting for it. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I appreciate how draining the process can be. Please do let us know if we can do anything to help, it's completely your choice if you choose to appeal.
    Scope

• Hannah2610
    Hannah2610 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    I’m not sure if anyone will even see this now!
    I have temporal lobe epilepsy.
    partial seizures that generalise. It is not controlled. I receive daily living and enhanced mobility. I was told all those with epilepsy receive higher mobility. I get 2 points for bathing, 2 for using a microwave, 1 for remembering to take meds, 1 for communicating with others, an 2 for complex budgeting decisions.
    I applied for an MR and was rejected, so I asked to go to a tribunal. My decision was changed by DWP.., a day after receiving my request. Called me up to say they changed their minds and offered me the 2 points for complex budgeting decisions.
    my memory is destroyed from partial seizures in my temporal lobe. It can have a dramatic impact on my memory and mood. If you are not already, I hope you’re going to a tribunal. Or reapply for PIP.xxx
  • Brumboy68
    Brumboy68 Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
    Wow that's great news I only get mobility but happy with that...
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,097 Disability Gamechanger
    @Brunboy68 Hi hope your good, I was thinking you should have got Daily Living with your illness and the way your everyday life is affected by it, would you not do an MR and see how it goes. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.