Managing money — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Managing money

Lesleykidd23
Lesleykidd23 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
I am competent to understand money but I dont making decisions on big purchases or paying Bills as I cant write due to paralysis of my left arm how is best to explain this as they dont class getting to a bank etc. Help!!

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, if you have enough income but are unable to manage it then maybe a visit to your bank and some help and advice on setting up direct debits for regular out goings, utility costs, rent council tax and have the payment dates set to as and when your benefits are paid if this is how you get your income. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    HI,

If you are talking about one of the PIP activities "making budgeting decisions"  then i think you're misunderstanding it. You won't score any points for this for not being able to use your left hand to write. This activity is about the decision's you make and not whether you can't physically do something.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lesleykidd23
    Lesleykidd23 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    I rely on my husband do all financial decisions pay Bills setting up direct debits we make major purchase decisions together dealing with the home finances is very stressful for me I am confused as what the pip decides how points are score in this section 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    The question is, would you be able to manage this if you didn't have your husband? It's not unusual for a partner/husband to manage the bills and to make big purchase decisions together when you're in a relationship.

It really depends on how your conditions affect you and it's very difficult to advise on this because no one knows how you're affected.

This link may help, if you don't understand it then ask your husband to have a read as he's helping with the form.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.