Looking for a job — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for a job

bookfoldingqueen
bookfoldingqueen Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Does anyone else find it so hard to look for work that fits around their disability? I’ve got to go to work since moving in with my partner I’ve lost my esa, as he works. We can’t live off one wage. But I have spina bifida and can barely walk so looks like an office job only thing I can do ??‍♀️

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @bookfoldingqueen. It can be very tough, I agree. Have you had a look at our free employment services? They might be able to help put you on the path to finding something more suitable.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • bookfoldingqueen
    Thank you I’ll take a look now. I’ll be honest I didn’t know about scope until today and glad I’ve found this community as now I don’t feel so alone x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad you found us @bookfoldingqueen! :)
    If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bookfoldingqueen and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear of your current situation and wish you well in finding work.  I too have Spina Bifida and have worked in various admin jobs throughout my life.  Have you considered other types of work also?  My last job was working in an after-school care club where I used to help look after the children until their parents picked them up and we did lots of activities with them such as cooking, baking, arts & crafts, games and taking them out places.  I was able to do this from my wheelchair as the school was accessible and I did love it!  Sadly had to give it up when we moved house as it was too far for me to travel to then, but I wouldn't hesitate doing a job like that again.  Just a thought if you are open to doing something other than office work.  

Have you found anyone to help you in your search for work?  In the past the Scottish Spina Bifida Association have been quite helpful to me in helping me to find a suitable job and I am assuming that you are based down South where there is a charity called Shine for people with Spina Bifida, who I would imagine may be able to provide some support and information in finding work also.  Here is their website if you want to take a look -

https://www.shinecharity.org.uk/

As @Adrian_Scope has already mentioned, I am sure Scope's Support To Work would prove to be most useful also and is worth looking into.

Whatever you decide, good luck in finding a suitable job and please stay in touch and let us know how you get on.  Glad you found us and hope you are finding us to be helpful too.  We are a friendly bunch of people!  If there is anything at all we can help/support you with then please just give us a shout.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • bookfoldingqueen
    thank thank you so much for all that information. Sorry having a flare up tonight so I’ll be sure to re read it tomorrow. My phone call with the National careers services wasn’t much use sadly but the hunt continues x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear about your flare up @bookfoldingqueen, how is the hunt going?
    Scope

Brightness