DIET AND NUTRITION FOR THOSE IN CHRONIC PAIN — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DIET AND NUTRITION FOR THOSE IN CHRONIC PAIN

Options
thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
I do understand a lot of the members have various conditions linked to pain.

I would like to share some guidance and advice on diet, nutrition.

As with any advice or guidance I do give please consider first speaking to your Doctors.

Some suggestions might interfere with medications, if used in excess.

One further bit of advice do an exclusion diet what works for you. Does it help does it ease the problems slightly.

Be aware of websites related to your conditions worth looking at and I am pleased to say can give those to any member who wishes to know.

My personal history with pain is being an alcoholic.  Even clean have muscle pains and aches, legs.

Know that eating a sensible diet looking at gentle exercise can be beneficial.

ARTHRITIS

Include in diet the following Whole grains, Cereals, Breads.

Fresh Fruit, Bananas.

Vegetables.  Leafy greens Broccoli, Kale and Spinach.

Carrots, Celery . Reason why the Italian diet eat a lot of Carrots, Onions, Celery anti- inflammatory  . Sol Frito in there recipes.

Fish oils and Fish Omega three.  Salmon, Trout, Mackerel.
Sardines use tinned ones if not fresh.

Spices like Ginger useful as an aid for anti- inflammatory ailments.

Avoid Saturated Fats and fatty foods like Bacon, Sausages, highly refined foods. Salt, sugar. 

Lose weight do gentle exercise as swimming holds the body in the water is ideal.

Do not ever do any exercise till consult your GP. Who may be advise alternatives.

Tia Chi a gentle exercise good slow movements .

BACKACHE SPINAL ISSUES.

Include Oily Fish Salmon, Mackerel, Trout, 

Vitamin C fruits Guava, Papaya, Kiwi, any Citrus fruits , Oranges.

Included Peppers, Tomatoes.

Avoid Caffeine in Cola, Chocolate, Tea, Coffee.

Fatty foods, sugar salt and cakes, biscuits.

Look at losing weight, obesity a factor.  Can be worth talking to your GP.  Any things like acupuncture .

Might relieve pain.

JOINT PROBLEMS

Include Oily Fish Salmon, Trout, shell fish prawns .

Fresh Fruit and Vegetables included those with Vitamin and Beta Carotene

Citrus Fruits like Oranges, Satsumas, Clementine's

Peppers, Tomatoes.  Beta Carotene vegetables are Carrots Butter Nut Squash Sweet Potatoes.

Avocado's, Nuts,  Whole grains Cereals,  Eggs.

Olive oils .

Avoid obesity , consult your GP..  As with any losing of weight and diet and exercise 

OSTEOPOROSIS

Include diary products for Calcium, Yoghurt, milk, Fromage Frais Cottage Cheese need to add Cheese is a useful source but is high in fat.

Cottage Cheese low in fat but good sources of Calcium.

Oily Fish Salmon, Trout, Mackerel.   Eggs , beware of intake use Poached or Scrambled Use touch of milk scrambled. 

Leafy green Kale has a good amount of Calcium in it.

Avoid the following Wheat bran, Brown Rice, Nuts.

Spinach, Rhubarb, Caffeine in Chocolate, Tea, Coffee, Cola.

Alcohol Smoking.

Please can I add hope this diet, nutritional guidance, advice helps those with these conditions and pain relief.

I would like to add further there is your local Community Health Unit.

Has a well being service.  Worth contacting. Because this is how your learning and educating yourself.

I do know some of you may have allergies and food intolerances. Please with any of the information supplied. Please avoid if you do.  Please be careful and take precautions.

Contact the GP or speak to Practise Nurse signpost you to a Dietician or a Nutritionist or speak to your Community Health unit. 

If you feel you need to discuss alternatives.  If can not eat foods due to allergies and intolerances.

Feel for all you who are suffering and please if you have any questions please ask me.

Please thank you all for reading.

Please take care.

@thespiceman  

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So interesting and really helpful as usual!  Such wonderful advice @thespiceman so many thanks for that.  "You are what you eat" as they say and we all need to look at what we eat and how to improve our health.  I will definitely look into a lot of things I haven't tried yet that you mention such as Trout, butternut squash and sweet potatoes.  I love most fruit so find it really easy to eat bananas, clementines, rhubarb, etc and enjoy veg such as celery, broccoli, etc.  It might take me longer to get rid of my vices such as sausages, chocolate, biscuits and my main addiction which is tea (I probably should have a kettle coming out the top of my head) lol!  Been trying to cut down on my meat intake for a while now and have replaced burgers and bacon with quorn substitutes which I really enjoy so hopefully that counts to something, lol!  And Tai Chi I can certainly vouch for being so very helpful when it comes to pain and it also makes you feel great afterwards!

Thanks again @thespiceman.  Where would we be without your amazing culinary skills and knowledge?!   :smile:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello My friend @Ails   Thank you for your support and kind words as always.

Love you for sharing your diet and what you eat.

As I see so many of the community suffering and wishing how can I help.

What many people do not know that mental health encompasses all sorts of effects on the body and mind.

We feel depressed, anxious the need for comfort and reassurance.

Fine to have the odd treat but when it becomes serious and you need to rely on those to help you through the day or week.

Problems arise weight issues, obesity lack on inertia and exercise means problems arise with any of the above conditions.

I mentioned in my post.

One of the big problems we have in this country is caffeine in tea and coffee as we a nation of drinking both of those to excess.

Which does not help but very much causes problems, can prevent iron an nutrient absorption of food in large amounts.

Sorry to tell you that can also effect minerals and bone density.

Cause Insomnia.

Italians drink Coffee in the morning with Breakfast, a stimulant but never ever after lunch or evening meal or anytime but Morning.

Because they know can be serious drinking in large quantities.

You talking to some one who had caffeine poisoning . Drank ten cups of Tea and Coffee. Started shaking, sweating, chest pain palpitations.  and sickness.

Pains in the arms lots of severe anxiety.

Stomach pain, went to hospital treated me over a weekend.

Evaluated my Caffeine Intake never did it again, am Caffeine Intolerance.

That was addiction days.

By seeking and dealing with a sensible practical diet and good nutrition can be beneficial.

I have learnt so much from my Italian friends and those programmes talking about culture, diet and nutrition from the areas of the Med.

The reason the Med diet is an useful one.

Happy to be supportive to any one.

Please hope you Ok and everything .

I will talk to you soon I hope.

The one and only.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is all great info, my good friend @thespiceman so thank you once again for posting.  Sorry to hear you had such an awful time with the caffeine, but glad you are ok now and a good warning to us all to be careful.  I know myself that I drink far too much tea and should really cut it down for my own health.  Yes, we can learn a lot from the Italians' way with food and nutrition.  

I am fine, thanks.  I hope you are too.  I will send you a wee email.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Hate chocolate  but love a spoon of cocoa in a drink  and had a vague notion it is a source of iron ? ( Ex tea addict here.)

Brightness