Hi, my name is caroline73! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is caroline73!

caroline73
caroline73 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
pip assessment f2f carried out at home 11th November, letter saying all information needed received early December, nothing since I’m terrified what should I do next?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

The letter you received early December doesn't really mean anything and to be honest i'm always really confused why they even send this out because all it does is cause more stress for people because they think a decision will be made soon. If that decision isn't made soon after then they start to worry even more.

There's no timescales for decisions, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.

All you can while you wait is ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report, if you haven't already done this. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You'll still have to wait for the decision but at least you'll have some idea.

In the meantime unfortunately, all you can do is wait. Hopefully not much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • caroline73
    I’m terrified of ringing them, my award ends 27th February, I haven’t requested the report as I didn’t know I could I’m just so frightened.
  • poppy123456
    It's very stressful, i totally agree. Ringing them doesn't affect any decision they make, if that's the reason why you scared to ring them. I've rang DWP quite a lot in the past and always find them very pleasant.

Hopefully a decision will be made before your award ends, if it doesn't then it will stop on that date. If you're successfully awarded then you'll receive any money owed from the date it stopped.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hi @caroline73

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today ?

We have got a member in our community who is an expert in “Benefit’s”

I will forward your post for her take on things!!!!!

Please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can do????

@steve51

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @caroline73   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We guide, advise and help, support members of our community.

The assessment you mentioned. You have to wait till you get an outcome.

Sorry to inform you of this. Can be a long time.

Depends on backlog.

In the meantime if you are having problems coping is there any one supporting you ?

Family or friends or any health workers or support workers. Understand I used to speak to my GP.

After any assessment helps to talk things over and to see if the GP.  Can support you further , any additional concerns.

I have anxiety so any situation like this, speak to GP or as suggested.

If you are experiencing anxiety, you could contact the following mental health charities.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

They offer floating support advice, guidance with anything like this.

Often helps and then if there are any problems they are there to assist and be supportive.

Please ask any thing you wished to know contact the community you not alone.

Offer compassion, empathy and sensitivity .

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • caroline73
    I’m not very good with things like this at all I’m sitting here crying now just typing messages to you, thank you so much for helping me I really do appreciate it. I thought I would’ve heard by now the lady that did the assessment said it would be 4-6 weeks does that mean anything? I had a letter about ESA to see if I was entitled to extra money from that around the same time I filled it in and received a reply about that within 10 days, it’s so confusing and stressful.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

There's no timescales and i really don't know why they tell people 4-6 weeks because if it goes past that then it causes even more anxiety.

The letter from ESA will most likely have been for the severe disability premium and this extra money a decision is usually made very quickly because it's a simple process, unlike decisions on PIP claims.

All you can do is ring DWP and ask for an update.

• caroline73
    The  ESA form was to see if I was entitled to income related payments, I knew I wouldn’t be as my husband works full time, I haven’t heard anything about a disability premium before. Thank you for your help and I apologise for going on, I need constant reassurance and fix on set things and if it doesn’t happen I get into a panic, I will try and summon up the courage to contact DWP.
  • steve51
    Hi @caroline73

I hope that you have had a good morning?

Here’s some info for you below with regards to the “Disability Premium”

Please don’t worry about going on as that is the we are here for?

@steve51

• caroline73
    Hi Steve
    My morning had been very difficult but made better by so much kindness and understanding from people like yourselves, I wish I had found this site a long time ago?
    Sorry for sounding stupid but there is no info regarding Disability Premium at the end of your last message! 
    Thank you all once again I really do appreciate all your help, kind words and encouragement it means so much.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @caroline73 - I just wanted to say 'Hi,' & to add my support too. We all appreciate how stressful it can be going through the PIP process as many of us have had to go through it ourselves. Just to reassure you further, I also rang to get a copy of the HCP's assessment, & it was most straightforward, & sent out quickly. You might try giving them a ring, rather than thinking about it all over the weekend! You can do it. :)
  • caroline73
    Hi@chiarieds
    Thank you for your encouragement, I just wish I could summon up the courage to phone the DWP, I pray for and dread the brown envelope falling on the doormat everyday, I’m so sorry if this sounds silly I’m an emotional wreck thinking about it which is a trigger for the other illnesses I suffer ?
  • poppy123456
    Hi Steve
    My morning had been very difficult but made better by so much kindness and understanding from people like yourselves, I wish I had found this site a long time ago?
    Sorry for sounding stupid but there is no info regarding Disability Premium at the end of your last message! 
    Thank you all once again I really do appreciate all your help, kind words and encouragement it means so much.

The disability premiums that steve51 mentioned are not payable when claiming Contributions based ESA. As you were assessed for the income related top and weren't entitled to it, then this will include all of the premiums.
  • steve51
    Hi @caroline73

I’m very very sorry to hear about your morning.

Yes that is what we are all here for & you will make many friends.

Sorry about the info as there didn’t seem to be too much this morning.

I am very very happy to look into the “Disability Premiums” further for you if that would help????? 

@steve51

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited January 2020
    Hi @caroline73. I'm sorry you haven't yet heard anything, we all know how stressful the waiting can be. 
    If you're unable to call, do you think your husband may be able to speak to them with you? 

I hope you don't mind, I'm going to move your post over to the PIP section of the community. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • caroline73
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
    Thank you for putting my messages into the right category I’m new to all of this and don’t really know what I’m doing, my husband would willing call the DWP on my behalf I’ve just got myself into such a state over it he doesn’t know what to do for the best for me☹️
    But I think I’m definitely going to have to take a deep breath and pick up the telephone with him beside me to take over the conversation.
    Thank you so much for listening and understanding?
  • caroline73
    Hi @steve51
    Thank you for your kind offer but I do believe poppy123456 has answered our query into the disability premium but I really appreciate your offer of help and support it means an awful lot.
  • caroline73

Hi @poppy123456
    Thank you so much for your help regarding the disability premium, you saved me the stress of having to discuss that with the DWP also, you’re so very kind and it’s most appreciated.
  • steve51
    Hi @caroline73

That is great news yes “Poppy” is very good will any Benefit Inquiry’s.

I am very pleased to hear that you are sorted.

Have a nice weekend & please please come back to me if you need any further help/advice????

@steve51
  • poppy123456

Hi @poppy123456
    Thank you so much for your help regarding the disability premium, you saved me the stress of having to discuss that with the DWP also, you’re so very kind and it’s most appreciated.
    You’re very welcome. Thank you also for the kind words ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.