Higher rate PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Higher rate PIP

golfillini
golfillini Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello
My son had heart failure last year and is unable to work. After a battle with PIP which initially stated he scored zero points he has been put on the lower rate of £ 21 per week after we asked for the decision to be looked at again
He is easily out of breath and has pain to his body when he does any physical activity like walking etc. He was asked very misleading questions about how his illness affects him on a daily basis and because my son thought his medical records would be enough to be able to get the higher rate he only gave short answers to questions asked.
He also has a chronic illness called McCardles Syndrome which affects the function of his kidneys.
Is there any way he is able to get the higher rate because he is worried if he appeals the decision he will lose the lower rate

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

The next step is to request the Tribunal, within 1 month of the date of the decision for the MR.

No one can tell you whether he would be entitled to the higher rate because no one knows how his conditions affect him. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

I see he's been awarded standard rate for mobility but what about daily living part? was he awarded anything for this? There's 2 parts to PIP, daily living and mobility.

Sending medical records isn't always helpful because mostly they contain things that are not relevant to the PIP descriptors.

No one on an internet forum can tell you whether there's any risks to his current award by taking it to Tribunal BUT if they do plan on removing points or removing an existing award they will warn him before doing this. This will then give him the change to cancel the hearing.

I'd advise your son to get some face to face advice from an agency near him. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • golfillini
    Hello Poppy
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will talk to him today and find out exactly what he has been given.
    It has been 3 months since his mandatory reconsideration. Would this ge a problem for the appeal
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. With good reason he has 13 months to request the Tribunal but any worsening of condition won't be taken into consideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • golfillini
    Thank you for the information
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @golfillini. I hope you and your son are well? Please let us know if you do decide to continue the appeal and go to tribunal and need any help. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • golfillini
    Thank ypu Adrian
     Will do

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.