I want to better understand ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I want to better understand ADHD

GiJ
GiJ Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My husband, his son and his mother (we think) have ADHD. Life is not easy but it's never boring! I just want, if possible, to understand ADHD more so I can be supportive and still look after myself. Thanks

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GiJ

Good Morning & Welcome ??

I am one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We are all here to offer any new members both “Help & Support”

I have got a good friend who would be a great help for you.

Hi @Adrian_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post????

Here’s some info for you on ADHD from within our community.

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/60683/adhd-supoort

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GiJ - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining with your great introduction. I don't know if you've looked elsewhere online for further information. I've been having a look this morning, & thought the following link may be helpful. See: https://www.livingwithadhd.co.uk/   
    Anyway, please know that this community is here for you; ask any questions, & let us know if we can help. Please also chat here any time. :)

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @GiJ  
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GiJ and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  Thank you for reaching out to us also as there is a lot going on within your family and you will all need some support.  You have been given some very good information above.  Can I ask have you thought about some support for yourself in your own role supporting your family?  Your local Carers Centre is a good place to get in touch with if you are providing a caring role for your family and I'm sure you will find details of this online or your GP surgery maybe able to provide info.  Also Carers UK are a good support mechanism for people caring for loved ones also.  Here is a link to their website if you would like to have a look - 

https://www.carersuk.org/home

Just a thought as I know that caring for someone can be exhausting both physically and mentally (my husband cares for me and uses these organisations) and it is important to look after yourself when supporting someone else.

We are all here on the Community to support you and your family also so please feel free to chat to us anytime as there will always be someone on here to chat and listen.  We are a friendly bunch of people and we all look out for one another.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you and your family are getting on.  I hope you enjoy your time with us.  If there is anything you need help/support with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GiJ and a very warm welcome to the community! How are you today?
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Great to have you here @GiJ. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • GiJ
    GiJ Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Brightness