Tenancy issues can anyone help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tenancy issues can anyone help?

marlbeau
marlbeau Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Before I rave on...any help gratefully received ..
Brief issues...
Both disabled Tennant's, renting from estate agents, environmental health issues to property, already served a improvement notice on landlady last year, things have worsened.  
Anyone here help at all?? Thank you 

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Err....depending where in the country you are.
    In places, it is nearly impossible  to find anywhere at all at any price, so the idea of starting a fight with the landlord would be out of the question.  In theory,  so called  revenge evictions are supposed to be banned,  but........
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I,m afraid that private rental is going to be more and more on the cards , as council tenants decide whether to spend the rent money they get from UC on rent..or put the money into food for their family .....many, many more people will be out in the streets due to being evicted through unpaid rent , therefore many people will be looking to rent privately . I hope you get the problems sorted out marlbeau. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you have a lawyer or not @marlbeau?  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Seanchai said:
    I,m afraid that private rental is going to be more and more on the cards , as council tenants decide whether to spend the rent money they get from UC on rent..or put the money into food for their family .....many, many more people will be out in the streets due to being evicted through unpaid rent , therefore many people will be looking to rent privately . I hope you get the problems sorted out marlbeau. 

The housing element of UC is very similar to housing benefit BUT the housing element is more generous than housing benefit was, especially for non dependent deductions. There's just as many bad landlords out there as there are tenants, sorry just my thoughts.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi
    @marlbeau
    Sorry to hear you're having some housing issues. Hopefully I can point you in the right direction here. 

The Citizens Advice have information on their website regarding housing issues. Please see the link below
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/asking-the-local-authority-for-help-with-repairs/local-authority-help-with-repairs-housing-health-and-safety-rating-system/

Please excuse the long link. 

If this is helpful then it could be worth having a Google to see if there's a Citizens advice office in your area. On the website home page you can put your postcode in and it will bring up your local office. They also offer phone advice too as well as information online. The phone number is 0344-411-1444

Hope this helps. :smile:
    Louise 
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion

Brightness