Q12 on PIP form — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Q12 on PIP form

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
I can manage money day to day on a superficial level but pretty sure I cant manage the big money decisions or I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in now. I've put that on the form. I know they are only interested in how your condition affects you day to day so not sure what to say further. I didnt have to pay a bill or do anything 'big' with money till I was in my late 30's. I've made a ton of financial errors since then, leading to present circumstances. (Plus the fact never been able to hold down a job). But will they want to know all the financial difficulties of the last 20 years?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hi,

No, they won't want to know details of the last 20 years. Whether you'll score any points here will depend what you mean by "you can't manage big money decisions" Not being able to hold down a job won't help your PIP claim because it's not about working.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    @poppy123456
    Ok that bit doesnt look good then.

Sorry for spamming again. The message is confusing because it says website not responding, try again in a few minutes.
  • poppy123456
    If you could give some more information then someone maybe able to advise you further.

No worries. It's annoying when trying to start a thread and you keep having the "not responding messages" I have no idea why is does that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bettahm
    @poppy123456
    It's a bit hard to find words for it. It's not an every day problem so they probably wont count it. I've never sort of felt in control of my own life, always relied on others, which was fine when I had close family but have been misled over things by people since, including money stuff. All down to ASD really, which is another thing I put on the form.

An example. Close family all gone. Somebody says to me you should have a credit card. Never had one, get one. Not too long 8000 in debt.

Theres more but suspect that maybe doesnt count for PIP.
  • DaveTheWasp
    DaveTheWasp Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    I'd focus on information like the credit card. I'm currently preparing an appeal for my wife's PIP renewal, and I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere in case law notes that not having the opportunity to learn about managing a budget, isn't always taken to mean that you can't manage one, and that it shouls be as a direct result of your condition. I'd try to focus on the reasons that you can't currently manage one as a result of your condition, for example any problems with planning or impulse control in relation to spending. Any letters regarding missed bills etc may help too if you have any.

I hope this makes sense and is of some use, and hope everything goes well with your claim.
  • Bettahm
    @DaveTheWasp
    I think it is more down to my ASD as never been able to hold down a job, so relied on my parents to look after stuff right up till they both had passed away, then in my late thirties. So then had to rely on advice from other people, and things have gone very wrong.
    So my condition I'm sure is the cause. I'm 58, diagnosed last year.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    As I understand it, its about making day to day financial decisions and if you need help to make them, it has little if anything to do with making mistakes or running up credit card debt. Do you need help making such decisions? even if you don't get the help (as daft as that might sound)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bettahm
    @woodbine
    @ilovecats
    I think I'm going to forget the whole claim. It's far too complicated, and too hard to explain all this stuff. You're probably right, I wont score points for just keep making mistakes, trusting the wrong people, and being gullible.
    Q11 is my only scorer.
  • Bettahm
    @woodbine
    I suppose I could have done with some help on the major stuff, just nobody around to give it. 
  • Bettahm
    @Username_removed
    Ok thank you, that's interesting. Because the credit card debt is just one thing out of several including house sales and purchase. I really could have used some help and advice on these. Thanks Mike
  • Bettahm
    I think I should score highly on Q11. Should I maybe not worry too much over Q12 as still having problems with it.
    Thank you.
    Think all I can say for Q12 is never had to run a house or budget for anything in my life till really 15 years ago so struggling now.
  • Bettahm
    Ok thanks for that, I can think of one that went wrong very recently. 
    Would they contact the store in question to verify everything. I had to go to the CAB in the end for advice.
  • poppy123456
    No, they don't contact a medical professional very often and they certainly wouldn't contact a shop for anything.
  • Bettahm
    @poppy123456
    Two recent things I could give are that one then, as I wouldn't want them contacting the store and stirring up trouble again.
    Also the debt I ran up with my old electricity company.
    Thanks Poppy and Mike
  • Bettahm
    Finally think I've completed the PIP forms today. Going to leave them now and read thru tomorrow before posting.
    Thank you to all on this thread who advised me.
    @poppy123456
    @Username_removed
    And all.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.