Low impact exercise - advice please! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Low impact exercise - advice please!

anne1729
anne1729 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have oestreoathiritis in my knees and my right knee is the worse.  My bones click and hurt.  I am trying to loose weight to help, but it is a slow process.  I also have depression which is not helping at all.

Anne

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Hi @anne1729 I'm Tammy one of the volunteer community champions here on the site. Welcome it's nice to meet you. I'm one of many if the community champions who are here to guild and support you, so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sorry to hear you have oestreoathiritis I imagine it's very painful especially in the cold weather.
    I have a chronic illness so I know it's not always easy. Well done on taking a positive step towards your goal in trying to lose weight, I know how difficult it can be when you are limited with physical pain and life in general. I think when we suffer with physical pain it can take a negative effect on our mental health. Have you spoken to a gp about your physical health and depression? They may be able to put you  on a plan to help you lose weight but also manage other issues that may have. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to message myself or any other online community champion.
    Take care
    Tammy ?
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anne1729

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am also one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We are all here to “help/support” any new members.

Yes “Arthritis” is a very very painful condition in its self.

This time of the year that’s for sure!!!!!!!!!! 

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anne1729 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I'm in sympathy with you, as I also have OA, & my right knee is the worst! Cold & damp weather certainly doesn't help.....roll on Spring.
    Tammy has given some great advice, & I hope you do get an appointment with your GP who can help. Meanwhile we're all here to offer our support & you can chat here any time. Do let us know how you're getting on. :)

• anne1729
    Thank you.   Been to the doctors and was told to lose weight  which I know I do need to and have started tracking everything.   It is just so hard
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anne1729 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain and hope things improve for you soon.  Glad to hear you have been to see your GP and I can appreciate how hard it is to lose weight, but you will get there I'm sure.  I agree that the cold, damp weather won't help your pain at all.  I know that my hip pain gets worse when it is this awful cold weather too.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please don't hesitate to ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anne1729

I am glad to hear that you have been to see your GP.

Have they given you any info to help you in loosing the weight??

Yes it will be hard to start with but you will rep the benefit’s in the end!!!!!

@steve51

• anne1729
    My doctor told me to do low impact exercise.   I have a group, for 12 weeks which gives me access to our leisure centre.  I do go walking when my knee lets me. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anne1729 and a warm welcome to the community! How is it going? I imagine it can be really difficult with your knee. 

I will move your post the main section of the forum so more people will see it. :)
    Scope

• anne1729
    Thank you.   It is difficult to move,  but I still try to but I cannot do add much add I could do which is frustrating.   Trying to find work as well and it just died not help being deaf as well
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anne1729, have you seen Scope's Support to work scheme? They might be able to help with employment. :)

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.
    Please do let us know how you get on!
    Scope

Brightness