ESA queries — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA queries

jlcmama1234
jlcmama1234 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
I’m on esa in the support group and I claim for my partner also, we get £114 per week for our living expenses but if you claim on your own you get about £111 per week for one person is this right. I know when you claim as a couple you loose a few pounds but £3 difference a week that can’t be right.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

That's not Support Group rate, are you 100% sure you're in the Support Group? When did your ESA claim start?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jlcmama1234
    Ive been onit a few years now, the amount stated is what we as a couple get that’s not including money for being in support group. But I checked it out and know someone who gets the same as me for one person 
  • poppy123456
    You'll need to ring DWP to check for sure what group you're in. If it's support group then for a couple this should be £177.50 per week.

If your claim started after April 2017 then it could be WRAG, if it is then you won't receive any extra money. It will be £114.85 per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jlcmama1234
    Its definitely support group, but the amount your saying is including the extra money for the support group but I mean because I claim for him as well I only get an extra £3 or £4 a week compared to claiming as a single person
  • poppy123456
    ESA couples rate is £114.85 + £38.55 for being in the support group + £24.10 enhanced disability premium couples rate = £177.50 per week.

£114.85 is WRAG for those that started their claim after April 2017 and is also assessment rate.

£111.65 is Contributions based.

£128.45 is Support Group Income related (single person)
  • jlcmama1234
    So do you think I’d be better off claiming as a single person. 
  • poppy123456
    Not at all and i'm not sure why you think you would be. As i advised, you'll need to ring DWP tomorrow and find out why you're not receiving what you should be, if you're in the support group.
  • poppy123456
    You can't claim Income Related ESA as a single person why you're living with a partner.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @jlcmama1234. As Poppy said, it sounds like you're not getting the correct amount. If you're able to, give them a call today to query why. Hopefully it can be resolved. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.