Applying for senior roles with a disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Applying for senior roles with a disability

geek84
geek84 Scope Member Posts: 100 Courageous
Hi Folks

I have a disability and have applied for several senior roles such as team leader & management in my related career area which is finance.
On every occasion, I seem to be overlooked.  Whenever I ask the reason  for the rejection I always get the standard reply that there were other candidates who had more experience/better qualifications for the job  role advertised.
I think one of the reasons for rejection might be because of my disability, or am I being paranoid?
Has anyone else experienced this or know of anyone who has?

Thank You

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geek84 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  Yes, sadly I believe that disability discrimination does still happen a lot in the field of employment and it is difficult to think on the contrary so I don't think you are being paranoid.  I have went for several positions in the past (that weren't senior) only to be told that I wasn't successful and that others had more experience/qualifications than me.  It is extremely frustrating so I can understand if you are feeling disheartened.

I would start to ask interviewers where exactly I went wrong at the interview as it is not good enough for them just to say that there were other candidates with more experience, etc.  They should be able to give you proper feedback so that you can take this on board for future interviews.  I have always found feedback to be really helpful.  It is a very hard thing to prove that someone is discriminating against you because of your disability, but best to remember also that sometimes it is simply due to another person coming in who has slightly more experience/qualifications.  Although being disabled it is hard not to immediately think you are being discriminated against.

All you can do is keep going as you are doing and one of these days you will get lucky, as not everyone discriminates, but sees a disabled employee as being a very positive asset to their organisation.  Good luck in your search for a job and please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.  If there is anything we can help you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi geek84, just want to say don't let this stop you from attaining your aspirations.

If you have a good work record, low absences and present yourself as best you can, then success should come.

Always do your homework on the job/company you are applying to and that will show a genuine character.

Best of luck xx
  • geek84
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @geek84. I'm sorry you've experienced this. Can I ask if you're currently looking for work?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • geek84
    Hi Adrian

Yes I am looking for work.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geek84, sorry to hear this. It must be very frustrating! You may find our employment services helpful:

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.
    Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• geek84
  • Isaac_Alumni
    Isaac_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 2 Listener

Hi @geek84

Thank you for you message.

On our Support to Work service we cover disability discrimination and how to overcome it including picking the best time and way to disclose your disability to avoid being discriminated against based on your disability.

Our Support to Work programme can support with suggesting the best places to look for jobs and also support you to apply for them. For more information click on the below link
    https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/

Our Support to Work is open to disabled people who:

• are 16 years or over
    • are looking for a paid job
    • have internet, email and telephone or Skype access
    • live in England or Wales
    Good luck and let us know how you get on
  • geek84
    Thanks.  However I'm in a difficult situation - although I am disabled, I am not registered as disabled 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geek84, what do you mean by registered? Everyone with a disability is able to access this service. I hope they can help and please do let us know how you get on!
    Scope

Brightness