New Community Champion — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Community Champion

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Hi All
Today is the first day of my probationary period to become a Community Champion , so thought I would introduce myself and tell you a bit about me. I am 52 years old and single mum to a 13 year old boy . I joined scope last year for advice around a tribunal appeal for LCWRA and have had lots of advice and support since on various topics, so I wanted to give my support to other members and become a more active member of the community.
I have several health conditions diabetes, glaucoma, (blind in one eye) , peripheral neuropathy and I am a below knee amputee and mainly a wheelchair user.
I have been through the PIP application process and a review and also the LCWRA process, so I can understand the frustrations and concerns. Both my PIP application and review were successful and no concerns, but my LCWRA ended up going to tribunal.
 I also have knowledge or working practices and employment law having spent 30 years as a Human Resource professional.  
I am hoping to support members and welcome them to the community and give any advice and support I can even if its just a welcome and support.

I am looking forward to my new role as a volunteer, Thanks Jane

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967

Welcome it’s great to meet you today ?

I am also a Community Champion here at Scope.

It will be great to have you as part of the team.

Please please let me know if you need any help getting in & around.

If there is anything that you are unsure about please let me know!!!!!

@steve51
  • janer1967
    @steve51 Thanks for the support I'm sure I will be taking you up on your offer at some point.:)     
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967

No probs it’s my Pleasure ??

Yes “please please” come back to me .

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967 - It's great you have become a Community Champion joining the other lovely people here already in that role. I have seen you around the forum, & seen your considered, & helpful advice, so I'm sure you will be an asset to this great community in your new role. My best wishes to you Jane :)
  • janer1967
    @chiarieds thankyou fir your lovely response 

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Jane, congrats on the position.

I`m sure you will have lots to offer with all your own knowledge.

I`m a full time wheelchair user and try to be supportive when I can.

This group has been a great support to me too.

Thankyoux
  • Brightsidebecs
    Brightsidebecs Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Hi I also started as community champion today. Together we can get through it!! It’s really nice to meet you all. 

Rebecca 
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967
    @Brightsidebecs
    Congrats to you both, and my very best wishes in your new roles xx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Brightsidebecs - Delighted you have become a Community Champion too. I remember enjoying reading your guest blog a while ago, so I'm sure you have a lot to offer. My best wishes to you also. :)
  • Brightsidebecs
    Thank you very much for taking the time to read my guest blog and for your welcome. I’m really happy to be a champion although I would wake up full of cold on my first day. Just my luck, @chiarieds
    Rebecca 
  • Brightsidebecs
    Thank you very much @Franstrahan
    Rebecca 
  • janer1967
    Thanks to you all for your welcome @pollyanna1052 @Franstrahan @Brightsidebecs good luck to you 
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Hi Jane1967
    Its great news to hear you have become a Community Champion. I know you have helped me through a difficult patch so I’m sure this forum would benefit from your support. Well done and thank you for donating your time to help others!
  • janer1967
    Thanks @Rifi7 how are you doing have you made a decision yet. I would go on a short break to your sisters to help make the decision  I know you are concerned she may move but by then you may have settled and have new circle of support 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967 and congratulations on your new role as Community Champion!  I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely and have so much to contribute to the Community.  I have also read a lot of your posts and you give really good advice to members so this role will come naturally to you.  I started as a Community Champion last year and have loved doing it!  I find helping people so rewarding and worthwhile.  I look forward to seeing you on here and wish you well.  If I can be of any help to you then please just let me know.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Brightsidebecs and congratulations also on your role of Community Champion!  I hope your first day of doing it is going well and you are enjoying it so far.  Sorry to hear you have the cold though.  I hope you feel better soon.  I'm sure you will be great in your new role and will be a very valuable asset to the Community.  It is always lovely to see new Community Champions on here and I look forward to reading more of your posts.  I wish you well in your new role and if there is anything I can help you with then please just let me know.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI @janer1967 and @Brightsidebecs congratulations on your community champion roles. Glad to have you both as part of the community :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @janer1967 and @Brightsidebecs! Great to have you on the team! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hello @janer1967           @Brightsidebecs

Congratulations.  Thank you being a Community Champion.

Please be a pleasure anytime to be supporting you.

Please ask me any thing either PM on the messaging service.

Tag my name.  Not sure either of us Community Champions or the amazing team from SCOPE.

Contact them.

You will love this role meeting lots of our wonderful members, all have a part to share and care.

Please also can I add we all friends the Community Champions very much so.

We have a lot of time for each other and welcome you in to our family.

I have been a Community Champion three years this year.

Never met so many inspirational and fantastic friends.

Who are a big part of my life, every day.

Love my time here and learn and acquire new knowledge .

Heal, help and be supportive of our members who have struggled and coped with many issues in their lives.

Rewarding, bringing joy and happiness.

With my recipes or any thing I can bring.

Sometimes my humour helps, after all laughter is the best medicine. If I can be breaking down barriers.

Giving those a life back, some self esteem so be it.

Being appreciative and getting an awesome or like always lights up my day.

Bringing your skills, talents and abilities to give members. With heart, compassion, empathy and sensitivity.

Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Your new friend.

Please take care.

The one and only 

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • janer1967
    Thank you all for your welcomes and kind words. I had a great day yesterday in my new role, I think it is going to give me purpose. I really miss working and felt yesterday I was back in the game. It gives me reason to get out of bed. The only part missing is the actual social interaction, I know its not practical but imagine what fun it would be if all the champions worked in  an office together, bouncing ideas off each other.. @poppy123456 @thespiceman @Ami2301 @Ails @chiarieds @steve51 @Brightsidebecs

Brightness