Thanks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thanks

AndyGT
AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
Hi.... This might not be the right place to say thanks because the person I want to say thanks to probably does not visit this site.. But, it is as good a place as any..... There are times when we are out and about, it doesn't matter  where but something will happen and someone will make it obvious that they disapprove if you being there.  This might range from tutting, rolling their eyes, verbal comments or at the extreme they will push past you. It may be something small but it can hurt. It can make you feel like you shouldn't  be there.   It doesn't take much to make you feel good, happy or at least like you are part of society.   Anyway, today I was out shopping and at the till something rolled off my trolley and on to the floor. Now there are days when I may be able to get it, but days like today I couldn't bend and get it.  Moments like that make me feel truly useless. Anyway, as the item hit the floor a young lady (early 20s) was walking past and without saying anything and in one movement she bent and picked it up and put it back on the trolley.  She said nothing and continued walking.  It was a simple act, but an act that shows most people at heart are good people. I don't know who she is or what her name is, but I want to say thank you to her and to everyone  that shows that small but important act of human decency goes a long way.... Thank you.

Comments

• DaveTheWasp
    DaveTheWasp Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    That is awesome, it's often these small gestures that can make such a big difference to someone.  I'd also say its a great place to post it, with so many people here having a hard time with various struggles, it's nice to see a bit of happiness too!
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    It is good to come across some kind of decency, especially these days where it seems it is less common than before.

I went through early life i.e. school and adolescence (except at home where I was treated well by family) learning how worthless I was based on others’ behaviour towards me. Also that most people are naturally malicious. It’s only as I get into the adult years that I’m slowly starting to realise that most people aren’t bad natured and they don’t hate me for no reason. The first time someone did something to help me I actually didn’t understand what they were doing at first, as I thought, why would they give up their time for a random stranger who is worthless to them! It seems there are indeed a few nice people around though.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    It's these small acts of kindness that can really restore your faith in humanity. That good deed probably cost her 2 seconds of her time but had a positive impact on your day which has a knock on effect. It's a good reminder of how much the little things can mean. Thanks for sharing @AndyGT. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Just look at how much difference that young woman made to your day...and possibly your whole week!

It made that much difference as it gave you cause to share it with us!
    That`s what makes a difficult life worth striving on for.
    Good for you and your mystery helper.
    Pollsxxx
  • AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    It made my week actually.  The week has been busy and difficult, both at work and at home. Everything has been difficult and painful and the action in those few seconds made it all seem so much better. It is amazing that such a simple act can have such an effect.  It shows that most people are good people and that if everyone did one some act for one person it would have a snowball effect and the world would be that much brighter for it. I use to be a policeman and have seen the horrid underside of things but still believe that things can be better. 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I used to love volunteering to be able to help people ....it gave me buzz . Now I rely on the help of others . 
    May I add that there are far more good hearted people out there than there is bad people.
    A lady was coming along the road in her electric wheelchair last summer , I moved out her way to let her pass on the narrow pavement , she then dropped her purse which she was trying to hold tight to and work her electric wheelchair at the same time ....I nodded and bade her ' good morning' ...just a scowl and the dropped her purse ....I bent down and picked up her purse and handed it to her. "That's mine " she said as she grabbed the purse and drove on without a nod , a thank you ,or any  acknowledgement.
    I felt very sorry for her , maybe she has had a bit of a scare on her electric wheelchair . It would have been nice to hear a " thank you" ...or even a smile or a nod.  I pray for that lady that her hard heart softens when she realises that the vast majority of people would willingly help her in any way possible .???

Brightness