Disability premium income support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability premium income support

shiningstar01
shiningstar01 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all,
Please could some one help me as I cant figure all this out.

When transfering from DLA to PIP in Dec 2018 I was awarded enhanced mobility but lost the daily living component.
I did the MR and was refused so I asked for tribunal hearing.

In the same month i was made redundant and I had to apply for income support (lone parent with 3 children youngest was 2) and housing benefit.

I was awarded I/S with the £34.35 disability premium on top.
No one claims care allowance for me.

I went to tribunal on the 30.01.2020 and they awarded me the enhanced rate on both components back dated to Dec 18.

I've had a look online and it says that the 
enhanced disability premium is £16.80 
So does this mean I now need to pay the DWP money back.
 I've worked out that
34.35 - 16.80 = 17.55 
 So I would have been overpaid by £17.55 each week.

I'm really sorry if I sound stupid but I've never Claimed anything other than wtc/ctc and CB before, so I dont have a clue what I'm doing?

Many thanks in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Great news on the Tribunal decision.

There’s 3 disability premiums available when claiming the old legacy income related benefits. 

The disability premium that you are claiming is because you have a PIP award and you’re claiming income support.

The enhanced disability premium is an extra premium which is added to your income support if you’re claiming Enhanced daily living PIP and the disability premium. This means that you will receive an extra £16.80 per week in with your income support, you don’t owe them any money.

The final disability premium is the severe disability one. To receive this you must live alone, no adults over the age of 18 living with you unless they are claiming a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. No one must be claiming carers allowance or the carers element of universal credit for looking after you. If this is you then once your PIP award is in payment you need to ring income support and ask to claim the severe disability premium. This is an extra £65.85 per week.

Hope this helps you understand it a little more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shiningstar01
    Thankyou so much for your reply.

I live alone with my 3 children all under 16, and no one claims care for me.

So does this mean that from now on I will receive all 3 premiums? 

I applied for I/S on the 6/12/18 and my PIP daily living award  has been backdated to the 7/12/18 
    So will income support now owe me? 

Either way I'm so relieved I dont owe them money.

Thankyou 
    Jo 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    You're welcome,

Yes, you'll be entitled to all 3 disability premiums and they will all be backdated to the start of your PIP award. Once your PIP is payment then ring Income support and ask to claim the SDP over the phone and also ask for it to be backdated as well. It should only take a few days for a decision to be made on this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Great news about your tribunal decision @shiningstar01

I'm glad Poppy has been able to help you with regards to the premiums. As she said, you'll be owed all 3, you won't owe them. Be sure to claim the SDP once your PIP is in payment. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • shiningstar01
    Thankyou so much, it's been a big fight and not one that I would like to do again in a hurry.

I'm so relieved that I dont owe the DWP anything and will call them to apply for the other premiums as advised.

I will ask if  they will consider backdating my claim, and please dont think I'm being greedy but I  will pray that they do, as In all honesty I wouldn't be able to handle fighting for it through MR and tribunal. 

Thankyou both for your advice, making things less complicated and putting my mind at ease that I'm not going to end up with a big bill. 

• poppy123456
    You're welcome. You are owed the backdated money, it's not about them considering it. If you're owed it then you'll receive it. It will be an extra £82.65 per week in your Income Support from April 8th 2019, slightly less before that date.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. You are owed the backdated money, it's not about them considering it. If you're owed it then you'll receive it. It will be an extra £82.65 per week in your Income Support from April 8th 2019, slightly less before that date.
  • frank96
    frank96 Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Hey poppy still waiting on my backdating decision. The reason they said weren't going to backdate was because several decisions had been made on my claims and each time ESA wrote to me they said I should have questioned the rate I was receiving at the time and asked to look at my claims sooner. I reckon I will have to go to appeal tribunal with this not getting my hopes up anymore I will know the outcome of he MR by the end of the week so we'll have to wait and see. I just outlined the fact I was on ESA, PIP, living alone with nobody claiming carers allowance and that the premiums are there to recognize the extra costs to disabled people living alone. Oh and that it should have been awarded automatically and we had no knowledge of these premiums at the time. Will let you know what they say soon

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.