Cut me to standard rate for Mobility, advice please! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cut me to standard rate for Mobility, advice please!

Joe1999
Joe1999 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
edited February 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I’ve received my PIP review decision today. They’re kept me on enhanced rate for daily living but cut me to standard rate for Mobility. They’ve awarded me 10 points for walking up to 20 metres with an aid yet during my home visit the assessor asked me not to try and walk as it was obvious I couldn’t. On ringing them they said someone would ring me back Sometime to discuss my objection. Can anyone please advise.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

If you disagree with the decision then you have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for the descriptor that you think applies to you.

Do be aware that they will look at the whole award again and not just part of it. Even though most MR decisions remain the same there's also a risk you could lose everything you already have, as well as have the award increased.

As most MR decisions remain the same you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The only downside is waiting times for hearings are huge across most of the country and some are waiting at least a year for a hearing date.

If you have a mobility vehicle then motability will be in contact with you to tell you what happens next.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joe1999
    Thank you for your reply Poppy. They did tell me today that my claim wouldn’t be affected in any way and that they would phone me back and I didn’t have to apply in writing. Is it different in Northern Ireland?
  • poppy123456
    Northern Ireland is slightly different to the UK. I do know that those that are transferring from DLA to PIP, if their PIP award is lower than the DLA award was then they will receive a supplementary payment to make up the difference for 1 year.

If it's a PIP review that you had and you weren't transferring from DLA then i'm not aware that this payment is in place for this. As far as i know it's in place for those transferring from DLA to PIP and not for PIP reviews.

You will still need to put the MR request in writing if you disagree with the decision that was made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Here's the link i found about the supplementary payments but unfortunately, this comes to an end on 31st March 2020.

• Joe1999
    Thank you. No I didn’t transfer from DLA I always just had PIP. My objection to them is that during my home visit I wasn’t asked to try and walk by the advisor as she said I obviously couldn’t. I just feel she was there to try and take my PIP off me and they’ve contradicted themselves with my daily living and my motabillity.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi@joe1999

Good Evening & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

It’s great to see that @poppy123456 is currently helping you with things.

You seem to have everything under control your end.

Poppy will be best to answer your question about it being different in N/I.

Sorry but I can only guess at this point which isn’t very good.

Please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with???

@steve51
  • Joe1999
    Thank you Steve 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
  • poppy123456
    As you didn't transfer from DLA then i have no idea why they told you that your claim won't be affected. As the decision's now been made then you will receive a new award, which is Enhanced daily living and standard mobility, which is less each month.

For the MR request you should put this in writing, as i advised above.
  • Joe1999
    Maybe crossed wires Poppy. They have said that putting in an MR will not affect my current decision on my pip review which I received by letter today.
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    I see, now i understand. Well, as i advised most MR decisions remain the same but there is a chance you could lose everything as well as have your award increased. Never believe everything your told by DWP advisers.
  • Joe1999
    Could I lose my daily living as well as my motability?
  • poppy123456
    Yes because they will look at the whole award again. Although you can state which part you disagree with, they still look at the whole award again. No one on an internet forum can tell you whether there's any risks to your current award by requesting the MR. For this you'll need expert face to face advice.
  • Joe1999
    One last thing I’d like you try and clarify please poppy. I’m on enhanced daily living but they cut my mobility to standard. If i lodge an MR can they stop my enhanced daily living and standard mobility payment while the look at this?
  • poppy123456
    You will continue to receive payments for the new award while waiting for the MR decision. If the MR decision doesn't change then you'll continue to receive payments while waiting for the Tribunal.
  • Joe1999
    Once again many thanks for your help.
  • Joe1999
    Has anyone ever heard of an MR actually being successful? In my mobility I was awarded 10 points for walking but 0 points for journey planning. I’ve submitted a GP report with my MR saying I’ve severe anxiety and distress for which I wasn’t awarded in my reassessment.
  • poppy123456
    Only 15% of MR decisions are successful. We have had a few members here who had a successful MR decision but it's likely to remain the same and you'll most likely be taking it to Tribunal.
  • Joe1999
    Not great odds then unfortunately 
  • Joe1999
    May I ask is it worthwhile asking for the assessment report?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.