Ex partner moved in, customer compliance telephone interview — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ex partner moved in, customer compliance telephone interview

Mikeb2102
Mikeb2102 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
I've been separated from my 10 year old daughter's mum since 2012. I am our daughters primary carer. I'm in the support group of ESA due to various mental health conditions and in September 2019 I was formally diagnosed as having ADHD and ASD and have just recently started medication. In November last year my daughters mum fell on hard times and was made homeless along with her 15 year old son. I wasn't going to see the mother of my child on the streets so I said they could move in with me. I have a spare room that her son could use and I have given up my bedroom so the she could have it and I sleep on the couch as it is big enough for my needs. As soon as she officially moved in I informed the DWP and the council. The DWP stopped my money until they received a couple of forms back. The forms arrived within a few days and I filled them out explaining in detail how she is my ex partner and we are not a couple. A few days later I received a phone call stating that they were reinstating my benefits and they'd make a payment that afternoon. They said they would probably need to do a home visit but they'll wait until after Christmas. I've just received a letter this morning giving me notice of a compliance telephone interview in two weeks time. People have said I shouldn't worry but I can't help but worry about it, I get really anxious about these sort of things. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,914 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

Have you rang the number on the letter to ask what it's regarding? If you haven't then i'd advise you to do this. It may be nothing to do with your ex partner moving in and could be random check, which they do at times with lots of people. Unfortunately, no one can tell you what it's regarding but hopefully it's nothing to worry about.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mikeb2102    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the Community Champions also.

Please I can make a suggestion.

Please do you have a support worker helping you with your mental health and should be contacted so they can be there if they need to be when the phone calls arrives.

Then if any questions or problems can answer on your behalf.

I had a notification a few times from DWP of various matters, always spoke to the team supporting me, that is there role there job.

Asked my support worker got a letter from DWP.

Rings up and asks on my behalf.  The problem or issues.

Then the DWP either say what it is or talk to me with them there.

Just an idea.

If you do not have support workers.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

All these are mental health charities.  Offer floating support benefit advice and well being and health issues.

Offer advice, information on meds, sleep anything else.

Please ask me any questions or advice , have a lot of knowledge on lots of mental health aspects including diet and nutrition.

One most important thing you need to do is speak to your GP if anxiety becoming a problem.

Also if you drink Caffeine Tea or Coffee, Cola or eat Chocolate , effects mental health anxiety. Caffeine a stimulant.

Consume more, avoid alcohol does the same as well.

Problems with sleep a common one. Eat foods containing tryptophan a chemical aids sleep.  

Found in Whole grains, Bread, Pasta, Rice.

Milky Drinks warmed with honey stirred in.  Helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman  

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mikeb2102 Welcome to the community I am a community champion. In case your compliance interview is regarding your ex moving back in with you I came across an interesting website the other day which advises on this subject and may be worth a read prior to your interview as it gives details of information and guidance on what DWP are looking at in this situation. The website is www.advicenow.org.uk and you want the survival guide to benefits and living together. Hope this helps and let us know how you get on
  • Mikeb2102
    Thanks, I've just had a look. I've explained all this to them in the form they sent out. I explained that my incomings and outgoings haven't changed and the only money I've received from her was for gas and electric because she's using more, I still put the same amount on my gas and electric each week and I still pay the same amount for shopping each week. I don't know why they are ringing me, unless it's to arrange a time to pop round and do a visit, which I'm more than happy for them to do, but they could have put all that in the letter. I tried ringing the number this morning but it just went straight to voicemail, not that they'll tell me much on the phone anyway. I'm sure if it was serious they would have stopped my benefits and then spoke to me, but they're continuing to pay me and the telephone interview isn't for a couple of weeks. It still doesn't stop me worrying though, like what if they don't believe me etc? How do you prove that you're not a couple? 
  • Mikeb2102
    OK wee update. I just rang DWP and the woman said she'd look into what it's about and give me a ring in half an hour. True to her word she rang me back and did the interview over the phone. I asked her if doing it now meant that I didn't have to do another one 17th and she said yes. It was about my ex partner moving in. She asked me lots of questions about why we can't make it work as a couple etc erm cos I don't have feelings for her like that. I was totally honest with her about everything and I said she was welcome to come and do a check of the property and see for herself. She told me they don't do visits anymore. Anyway she said she'll let me know if they need any further information. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mikeb2102 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Glad to hear the DWP phone call went well and hope that it has now put your mind at rest.  If we can be of any help to you then please don't hesitate to ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hello @Mikeb2102. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.