What book are you reading at the moment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What book are you reading at the moment?

MaxB
MaxB Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
edited January 2020 in Coffee lounge
I'm reading a lot of Ann Cleeves at the moment, the Shetland and vera books..I don't read a lot of fiction, but my mum put me onto Ann Cleeves and I'm so glad she did. I'm partial to a bit of terry Pratchett's too...

I really read about true crime, mainly from the 60s underworld, and Mexican Cartels..And a lot of music biographies.

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Eddie Izzard... Believe Me
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I tend to read a lot of thriller and horror books. my favourite author is Shaun Hutson. His books are brilliant. He has got such a wonderful imagination!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm reading a bit of Dean Koontz at the moment, but also dipping in and out of a really hefty Robert Jordan tome.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont read fiction at all. But I do have a load of books, garden and gardening books, all kinds of fish books, dog books, animal books, Christian books..... I've a wall to floor book case, another half the size, and still not enough room for my books.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited January 2020
    @MaxB I'm reading Sweet Pea by CK Skuse. It's about a female pyschopath and is the funniest book ever. Not for the faint hearted. Really black humour.

I normally read a lot of crime novels. Love Val McDermid and Peter James. I have just discovered that my Alexa echo dot can turn my kindle books into audio books so I've cancelled my audible subscription. I'm a sucker for book club recommendations and usually have at least 2 books on the go at any time.

Just to add that I've recently catalogued my cookbooks and I have around 100 ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MaxB, at the moment I'm reading the wisdom of Sally red shoes by Ruth Hogan. I've only just started it, but so far so good!
    Scope

• Laborador
    Laborador Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Hi There, I would like to suggest C J Sansom , author of the Shardlake series of books. They are called Dissolution, Dark Fire, Sovereign, Revelation, Heartstone, Lamentation and Tombland. Beautifully written, absorbing and gripping.
    I recently reread The Mill On The Floss and am next to read a biography of Keats. When I feel low, I reread the Adrian Mole series. I can't sleep without reading first so love books. I hope you all find things to read that divert and distract you
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I probably should read more of C J Sansom's books, as I've read his 'Winter in Madrid' twice, which is about the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War. I also have 'Dominion' waiting to be read. He certainly writes incredibly well.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    A book of children's bible stories. That is what I am reading with my son and daughter at night now. I just finished reading Mini Shopaholic too. 
  • Laborador
    Hi @chiarieds I bought "Winter In Madrid" and now can't find it! I love the way Sansom describes so very vividly the scenes, you can almost smell it! And his characters are incredible. I love his historical notes too.  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Labrador - Hope you find it! The historical notes are really good as I enjoy reading some history too. For some strange reason I'm drawn to revolutions! I like reading about the French & Russian Revolutions & the Spanish Civil War, which was why I enjoyed 'Winter in Madrid,' as it helped bring it to life. My spare bedroom is my library; unfortunately some of my son's books have also been here for a year, when it was supposed to be a few weeks! I'm allowed to borrow them tho, so I'm going to re-read his copy of Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Some great books here! When do you find is best to read? I tend to try and do some before I go to bed. :)
    Scope

• Laborador
    Hi @chiarieds, I love The Count Of Monte Cristo, There was a film with Guy Pearce  and Jim Caviezel, it's got some of the story but I imagine packing a thousand pages into a film is tricky. And revolution, I imagine everyone in this community is drawn to revolution, given how the govt treats us sometimes. The irony of course is that if we were well we'ed be able to revolt but probably wouldn't need to ...
    I always read before I sleep, somehow sleep seems more unsatisfying if I haven't read something. If I'm really anxious I read, it sometimes seems the wrong time but I just read and reread the same paragraph until my brain complies. And if I have a really good book on the go, I'm glued to it until I've finished. Any time I have the opportunity and concentration is the time to read.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad reading has been so helpful for you @Laborador! I'm with you there about being glued to a book! I can't seem to put the book I'm reading down, especially after a big twist!
    Scope

• Brightsidebecs
    Brightsidebecs Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Some great choices here, some of them I will be definitely looking at reading in the future. 

I’m currently reading a lot of counselling related books as I am a trainee counsellor. When I am not reading these. I like a good psychological thriller. I’m going to start reading Blood Orange by Harriot Tyce soon.
    Rebecca 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I've just finished The wisdom of Sally red shoes by Ruth Hogan and absolutely loved it! Now just to decide what to read next...
    Scope

Brightness