Can I claim PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim PIP?

Barry0957
Barry0957 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is Barry, I'm 62 and have always worked. I was diagnosed with stage 3 copd around 5 years ago, I've felt it steadily getting worse for the past 6 months or so and is now effecting my work as I now struggle to walk more than 20 metres without becoming breathless. Also I am always exhausted, I know this is probably due to the body working harder to help me breathe, I have permanently got aching joints and muscles, mainly shoulders. I find it extremely hard to climb stairs, always have to sit down to recover after reaching the bedroom. Started to get severe pains in both my legs and soles of feet, although this could be unrelated to copd, best way to describe the pain is similar to the pain I felt due to blocked artery leading up to heart attack.
Anyway that's me. 
I guess I'd like to know if guys think I'll be able to claim PIP or not

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

We can't tell you whether a claim for PIP would be successful because we don't know exactly how your conditions affect you. The only person who knows that is yourself.

It's a very long link and there's a lot to read but it will give you more of an understanding of the PIP descriptors, what they mean and the criteria and is probably the best link to read. It's very easy to score yourself points when it may not be possible to score as many as you think. The same as it's easy to under score yourself.

If you do decide to start a claim when you receive the forms, i'd advise you to put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you for each descriptor that applies to you and then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity.

Send relevant evidence with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

A successful claim could potentially take several months.

Do also be aware that although people do claim PIP and work, if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then this could go against you.

I hope this helps and good luck what ever you decide to do.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Barry0957 Welcome to the community I am one of the community champions, I am sorry to hear about your worsening condition. Poppy has given you her expert advice which you should read through. I just wanted to say hi and welcome you. If there is anything else we can help you with that is what we are here for. Good luck if you decide to claim for PIP, there are lots of members here who have gone through the process including myself who can offer you advise through the process.

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Barry0957 and welcome also to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear of your health struggles and I wish you all the best with your PIP claim if you decide to go ahead with it.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  If there is anything we can help you with at all then you only just have to ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Barry0957! Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.