Review & car tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Review & car tax

Apocalypse7
Apocalypse7 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good Evening, 
I was awarded PIP enhanced/enhanced (4yrs) June 2016-June 2020
I had a review form arrive in December 2019 & duly filled in & returned. 
My daily living has remained enhanced, my mobility changed to standard and my award is from January 2020-2024.
My question is what do I do with regards to my car tax (own car) as its taxed until April 2020? I know I can get 50% reduction, do I inform the DVLA now of my PIP change to standard or wait until April? Their online service won't let me tax my car as its too early.
Hope this makes sense, and any input is welcome. Thank you. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, since your award overlaps your car tax I would phone DVLA and ask for advice. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You won't be able to do this online. To claim the 50% reduction you need to send everything, including payment to DVLA. Your disabled road tax will have ended when your Enhanced mobility ended so you will need to do this ASAP. https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-50-reduction

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Apocalypse7! I hope the advice provided has been helpful, but please do let us know if we can do anything else to help. :)
    Scope

• ApocalypseRogue2500
    ApocalypseRogue2500 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello, thank you for your advice. I have contacted DVLA & I just need to change the tax class of my car, pay either the full amount or set a dd up. This can only be done at a main PO I then have to fill another form out, send my 'award notice'  I can then claim a 50% refund of VED. Then you for your help. 
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Hi,

You won't be able to do this online. To claim the 50% reduction you need to send everything, including payment to DVLA. Your disabled road tax will have ended when your Enhanced mobility ended so you will need to do this ASAP. https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-50-reduction

Actually this is not true, I did all this, they mislaid my documents, when I rang them to find out why cheque hadn’t been cashed the DVLA advised me I should have taken log book and PIP decision letter to Post Office immediately I received my decision.  They sent me a new log book and I took it along to the post office and it was all done for me there.  No need to send anything to DVLA.  However the next week the DVLA found my correspondence and banked the cheque so I had effectively then paid twice.  They issued a refund so all was good but please tax your car as soon as you get a decision which means you now have to pay all or 50% as without doing so your car will not be taxed.
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    Hi,

Actually this is not true, I did all this, they mislaid my documents, when I rang them to find out why cheque hadn’t been cashed the DVLA advised me I should have taken log book and PIP decision letter to Post Office immediately I received my decision.  They sent me a new log book and I took it along to the post office and it was all done for me there.  No need to send anything to DVLA.  However the next week the DVLA found my correspondence and banked the cheque so I had effectively then paid twice.  They issued a refund so all was good but please tax your car as soon as you get a decision which means you now have to pay all or 50% as without doing so your car will not be taxed.

My advice was indeed correct. To claim the 50% road tax reduction it can't be done at any post office. If you read the link i posted then it will tell you exactly what i advised, it can only be done by sending ALL documents to DVLA.

This was taken from the above link.

If you are entitled to the 50% discount, then you can ONLY obtain this by sending the appropriate paperwork to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BF

You must include the following with your application:

• An official letter or statement from the DWP confirming that you are in receipt of an award, the dates of the award, name and address

Please do not send the DVLA any of the personal medical information contained in the             letter.

• the vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
    • a V10 form
    • an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
    • a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle
    Only the free road tax can be done at a post office for those that claim Enhanced mobility PIP or high rate mobility DLA.

I won't make any further comments here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • DuffersMum
    I was asked at the post office if I wanted to pay the full amount or the 50%, I’m only stating what I was told at the post office, I chose to pay the full amount as I can’t be bothered messing around every time the DWP change my award, easier to just pay what is due
  • poppy123456
    The reason you were able to do it at the post office was because you paid the full amount. If you wanted to pay the 50% then you wouldn't have been able to do it at the post office. I used to claim Standard mobility, which is why i know it's correct because the only way i could tax my car was by post.
  • ApocalypseRogue2500
    ApocalypseRogue2500 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for all your help, I took Poppy123456 advice, read the information thoroughly, & have sent the required paperwork to the DVLA. 
    Once again thank you, we can end this thread if needs be. ??
  • poppy123456
    Thank you for all your help, I took Poppy123456 advice, read the information thoroughly, & have sent the required paperwork to the DVLA. 
    Once again thank you, we can end this thread if needs be. ??

Glad i was able to help :)
  • DuffersMum
    The reason you were able to do it at the post office was because you paid the full amount. If you wanted to pay the 50% then you wouldn't have been able to do it at the post office. I used to claim Standard mobility, which is why i know it's correct because the only way i could tax my car was by post.
    In which case the lady at the post office obviously doesn’t know what she was doing.  I’ll be sure to let her know when I next pop in for stamps ?
  • poppy123456
    Clearly she doesn't....
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.