Resigning from work due to ill health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Resigning from work due to ill health

daz250871
daz250871 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
good evening i was looking for some advice regarding my work and health conditions i work 16 hours per weel and was wondering if i resigned from work due to ill health would i be able to claim benefits or would i be sanction due to leaving my job  

Comments

• jadealyssa
    jadealyssa Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    edited February 2020
    Hi @daz250871
    Welcome to the community.

Unless you can prove via doctors and other health care professionals that your reason for giving up work is medical then you will be sanctioned and not allowed to claim benefits for a certain period of time and it will be up to dwp if the think it is acceptable. 
    We have a great advisor on this sort of stuff that may be able to help you
    @poppy123456
    Please could you add any advice 
    Much appreciated 
    Jade x

@daz250871
    I hope this will help
    Good luck 
    Anything you need just ask
    Jade 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @jadealyssa for the tag,

Hi and welcome @daz250871

If you're earning at least £118 per week then your employer must pay you SSP for 28 weeks and you'll need a fit note from your GP. See link. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

Once this has ended, if you've paid enough NI contributions in the year April 2017 to March 2019 then you'll be able to claim New style ESA and to claim this you'll need your SSP1 form from your employer and a fit note from your GP. You can start a claim 3 months before the SSP ends but you won't receive any money until it ends.

If you're not entitled to SSP and you've paid enough NI contributions in those 2 years then you won't be sanctioned for ending employment because it's not a means tested benefit.

In the meantime while claiming SSP you could look at claiming Universal Credit but whether you're entitled to this will depend on your circumstances. As it's a means tested benefit then if you live with a partner that works then you'll need to claim as a couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16.000 then you won't be entitled to any UC. Savings of more than £6,000 but less than £16,000 then your UC will be reduced by £4.35 per month for every £250 over that amount.

If you're claiming tax credits then this will end once you claim UC. Any housing benefit you maybe claiming will end 2 weeks after you claimed UC and will then be paid in with your UC amount.

You could put your details (and partners, if you live with one) into this benefits calculator to see what you maybe entitled to, if anything. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • daz250871
    Thank you the problem is my work only pays stationery sick pay so i would be worse off on the sick i get high rate of pip and also disability tax credits my doctor sign me of last yest for 3 months due to depression and anxiety 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, that will be SSP, which is correct. Your working tax credits will continue while you're claiming SSP. Unfortunately, if you claim Universal Credit then your tax credits will end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @daz250871 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • daz250871
    Ails said:
    Hi @daz250871 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  :smile:
    Thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.