Is this a mistake from the DWP? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is this a mistake from the DWP?

Options
2»

Comments

• Fionatolf
    Fionatolf Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    The 9,000 was due to us both doing permitted work while on the exact same claims as we are but although the DWP allowed us to both earn some extra. Our local authority do not.
    They only allow one person on a joint claim to do permitted work so our housing benefit award was still in place for over a year when they should have been charging us full rent and Council tax so they did the sums and said they overpaid us by 9,000 so I stopped my permitted work. Unfortunately I then also had to be made insolvent.
    This is why I am so very very cautious with everything now and any slight changes I am onto straight away to avoid things like that happening again.
    I hope that is clear for you.
    The goverment do not allow two people to do permitted work if they are a couple.
  • Fionatolf
    Options
    I fully understand now.
    So when my son moves out.what do I have to ask for that would top up our benefits.
    Is this the severe disability component per week for my partner and I or is the 50 from something else.
    You are extremely patient and understanding and extremely knowledgeable.
    I will be showing my friends our conversations to prove there is help out there and people who do care and understand the system.
    I have spoken to Joe. Were going to see how he goes but he has to be off work for the foreseeable future until we get an updated mri scan.
    We all only have one spine.
    It should be looked after with extra care.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes indeed, you can both do permitted work because you're both claiming Contributions based ESA but i can understand why a local council wouldn't allow both, without it affecting your housing benefit.

Yes when your son moves out you'll need to ask DWP about the SDP BUT you won't be entitled to the full amount because you're both claiming the contributions based ESA, which is more than you would be receiving if you were claiming ESA together as a couple. You will be paid the difference between what you're receiving now and the couples SDP added on, which will mean £50 per week.

My daughter has a learning disability and i spend a lot of my time trying to explain very simple things to her and i've done this for most of her life, she's 19 now and this is why i have so much patience to explain things to others. Not always easy through text speak but i do get there eventually. Add that together with my benefit knowledge and it works well.

I have a passion for helping others claim what they're entitled to. Claiming benefits myself for many years because of a disability and i what it feels like to feel confused and worried. Been there and wore the T shirt, so to speak. I did my research to help myself and now others that need it.

Thanks for you kind words. Good luck to your partner what ever he decides to do but remember, health is far more important than anything else.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fionatolf
    Options
    We are not awarded full housing benefit or council tax benefits either we get a deduction of 65% on the rent and 25% discount on our council tax.
    This I can only assume is correct as it was investigated after the benefit overpayment was raised.
    I only ever had full housing and tax benefits when I lived alone which I can understand.
    It is only right with our joint ESA claim they charge us some rent and council tax. I would rather pay my way.
    Our future though will change when my son eventually moves out. Thats why I like to know what can change when he does move out so I can be ahead of everything and not fall behind.
    The council however disregard Joes permitted work and use our income as the 170 plus the 111 I am not sure if that is even correct.
    Do you want to catch up on this tomorrow.
    You must have a cut off point Poppy.
    I am ever so grateful.
  • Fionatolf
    Options
    I now understand completely.
    We were advised to do individual claims as it worked out more for us both.
    Wow you are a true inspiration and I am so very grateful for all the advise on every topic we have covered.
    This has made everything clear and I can now relax knowing a load of forms will not be turning up.
    It was absolute chaos being switched to pip from dla. I was not awarded the mobility component I had been receiving for 9 years.
    I stuck it out and eventually won.
    I know how hard it is and the stigma attached still to people on benefits but they are tightening up the rules which is long over due.
    Poppy. Thank you again so much.
    I fully understand now and have read out your replies in an attempt to explain the system to my partner and my son.
    You have made everything easy to understand and the reasons why.
    I am relieved.
    Your daughter is a lucky lady.
    Not many parents go that extra mile anymore. Its such a shame.
    I support my sons decision to further educate himself I just wish he didnt have to rely on a student loan but he is happy studying and will be an asset one day in the work force.
    Many thanks again.
    I have no doubt I will be in touch again about something.
    Please keep up what you are doing.
    You are a wealth of knowledge and I thank you for your advise and patience.
    Kindest regards
    Fiona
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Aww thank you for those lovely kind words, you have really made my day. People like yourself are just one of the reasons why i continue to spend my time here as a community champion advising other people, in this wonderful community.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the student loan your son has, without the help of a student loan then we wouldn't have half as many students getting the qualifications they do. My eldest daughter is one of them. They need to be earning over a certain amount of income to start to repay it back.

Your housing benefit, the way they are using the £170 calculation from your ESA is absolutely not correct. They shouldn't be using that because you're not receiving that amount of ESA. My advice is to take your ESA award letter to your local council and tell them that this is not the amount you're receiving, you are receiving £111.65 each per week. Your partner is not added onto your claim, this is just the way it's calculated because they have assessed you for the income related top up but you're not entitled to it because you're both claiming Contributions based. The permitted work is disregarded.

May i ask if you're renting your home from housing association or privately renting? if it's housing association do you have any spare bedrooms?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Fionatolf
    Options
    Hi poppy.
    No its my local.council who house me.
    I had best inform them about the 111 payments.
    Why the DWP and Councils dont communicate is beyond me.
    They have a benefits section within the council.
    Its crazy.
    Thank you so much.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    DWP share information with local councils and vice versa but you should always report changes just incase. Hope you get it sorted because the deductions in your housing benefit really make no sense. I'm assuming they are aware that you claim PIP?
  • Fionatolf
    Options
    Yes they are aware of all our benefits and income.
    I just called and they only use two lots of 111 to award us some housing and council tax benefit.
    What still perplexed me is why on the ESA breakdown they use that 177.50 at the top. Then minus my partners ESA and permitted work and still award me cont based ESA.
    If he was not doing permitted work would they minus 111 of his Esa off the 177 of mine from the top of the page because that does leave a difference of 60 ish pounds. It is not laid out very well for me to grasp.
    In one sentence they are saying my entitlement is 177 then lower down they add Joes ESA and permitted work.
    Minus it off my 177 but ignore that totally and award me 111.
    If the permitted work was not on there and was not being earned. The calculation would be different but would their outcome be the same.
    I assume it would be.
    If I was awarded the 177 then Joe could stop doing his permitted work.
    Looks like he will have to struggle on with it.
    Thank you again Poppy.
  • Fionatolf
    Options
    How absolutely perfectly clear now you have made this for us.
    Why they make it so very complicated is beyond me.
    I have several friends all in dire situations with illness and  disabilities.
    They are petrified of starting the benefit process.
    I am going to forward them scopes forum so they can all ask their individual questions.
    One couple dear to me have split up because of a mental breakdown and they feel benefits have a bad stigma attached to them.
    I have explained it does not have to be forever just the duration of recovery.
    I am sure they will find your knowledge a real god send.
    I try to help but when I am struggling with my own entitlement its hard to be positive when helping my friends.
    Your decision to help others is such a commendable thing to do.
    I hope the community sit up and take note of the people you have helped and advised.
    Its a lifeline people are not aware of so I will be promoting scope and the forum on my social media as well as my close friends.
    Thank you Poopy.
    You are all very amazing people.
    I am eternally grateful.
    Kindest regards always.
    Fiona 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.