Who is in the wrong? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who is in the wrong?

bumblesea
bumblesea Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi I need some advice, 
my dad is 69, he had his Pip stopped last year and has been fighting for it back, 
long story short, he won the tribunal, but the Dwp have only paid him a bit of money, (nowhere near what they owed him) so he has rang them and they said they’re not giving him the mobility side of it because he’s over 65 but the judge awarded it to him, has the judge done wrong or have the Dwp done wrong?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Before the PIP was stopped did he have a mobility award, if so what award did he have? 

Also what was he awarded by the Tribunal? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bumblesea
    He didn’t have the mobility award no, but the judge awarded him the mobility this time as he is in desperate need of it, he has been since he started receiving pip years ago but he didn’t know how to request a mandatory reconsideration 
  • bumblesea
    Oh and hi ?? poppy xx lol 
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

I'm very surprised that he was given the mobility award because unless he was previously claiming it then because he's now past state pension age he's unable to claim any mobility part. This will be the reason that DWP can't pay him this. He should check the Tribunal decision letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bumblesea
    Yes the judge awarded awarded it to him, they awarded him enhanced rate of daily living a mobility, but the Dwp have sent him some money and gone against what the judge has said when the Dwp should have stopped my dads money and asked the tribunal for a statement of reasons, they can just ignore a judgement, they can disagree with the decision and ask for a SOR or agree with it, they can’t just give him some of the money, they haven’t even given him the enhanced rate of Daily living the amount they have given him is the staffers rate of mobility, I’m just really confused 
  • poppy123456
    As he didn't have a mobility award at all before unless he was transferring from DLA this time then he won't be able to claim the mobility award at all. See link. https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN07160

If the daily living amount is wrong then he'll need to contact DWP and ask why.

• bumblesea
    Why would the judge award it to award it to him then if he’s not entitled to it? 
  • poppy123456
    He may have scored the points but it doesn't mean he can receive the money. It's not possible for him to receive the money because he's over state pension age and he can't claim the mobility part.
  • bumblesea
    Well I’m well he is writing to the courts anyway because they actually said the words he is entitled to the higher rate of both component, and citizens advice have told him that they can’t go against the judgement, there is a reason the judge awarded him both components and the Dwp can’t just give him what they think he’s entitled too without asking for a SofR too see why the judge awarded him mobility 
  • poppy123456
    @Username_removed can you help here please?
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @bumblesea - is it possible that the judge has just made a simple mistake?

The DWP aren't 'just giving him what they think he's entitled to' - no new claimants over pension age can claim the mobility part, as Poppy says...
  • bumblesea
    cristobal said:
    @bumblesea - is it possible that the judge has just made a simple mistake?

The DWP aren't 'just giving him what they think he's entitled to' - no new claimants over pension age can claim the mobility part, as Poppy says...
    Well yeah I guess it’s possible, but you’d think the judge knows what he’s talking about, I’ll let you know the outcome anyway, the Dwp have messed up either way because they haven’t even given my dad the standard rate of daily living in his back pay and he’s entitled to enhanced daily living, it’s just really confusing, like I said though, the citizens advice have said the judge wouldn’t have awarded it to him if he wasn’t entitled 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    @bumblesea - yes let us know...maybe the CAB never make mistakes !!??

• poppy123456
    I've known CAB to give bad advice in the past...
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Yes CAB often gives wrong advice and they think you shouldn't point it out to them.
    But you do have to or they carry on giving it out and then there are bigger problems. 
    Which has happened here
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    My experience of the CAB and one or two other 'advice agencies' is  poor. Not only is bad advice given they are not known to be on the ball with time limits. Way back when I was only in receipt of low mobility DLA the CAB said that I was entitled to middle care and high mobility. They completed the form and sent it off only to find much later that they had forgot to apply for the uplift of the mobility element. Very embarrassing trying to explain to the DWP that it wasn't my fault it was down to the CAB.
    My opinion is that not knowing is far better than working with bad advice. I would  never trust anything that they tell you without first checking it out with someone else.
  • bumblesea
    I can see I can see the CAB making mistakes because I seemed to know what I was talking about more than he did but I can’t see the tribunal judge making the mistake of getting my dads age wrong and making the decision he is entitled to mobility when the Dwp say he isn’t 
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    My understanding is as a PIP tribunal - they will look at all descriptors and award points if they apply.

The awarding of these points doesn't mean someone is entitled to payment. As said above, the mobility component isn't awarded to those over 65 unless they previously received it immediately before reaching 65.
  • bumblesea
    Yeah we’re speaking to the tribunal services and writing them a letter, I will let you know the outcome, thank you xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.