On daily living pip, now I suffer with panic attacks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

On daily living pip, now I suffer with panic attacks

avakarlsson
avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
Hi 

I have been on daily living pip since August 2019. I have recently within the last month or two have panic attacks. If I told the DWP this happens now, what will happen does my pay go up or do I get anything extra or else?

Hope to hear shortly 

Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hi,

For PIP you need to have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. As you've only been experiencing those attacks for the past month or two then they won't be taken into consideration yet.

Once 3 months have past then you could report a change of circumstances for your PIP but i'm afraid it doesn't automatically entitle you to extra money. More PIP forms will be sent out to you, which you'll need to fill in and return with all your relevant evidence to support your claim. You'll then most likely have another face to face assessment because most people have them. You do risk losing everything you already have by doing this.

A worsening of condition doesn't automatically entitle you to a higher PIP award. After those 3 months if you're still experiencing the panic attacks then you'll need to get some expert face to face advice from an agency near you to see where you could score those extra points for a higher PIP award. It may not be possible to score extra points for a higher award.

Do be aware also that the 9 month rule will still apply.

Have you spoken to your GP regarding your panic attacks?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • avakarlsson
    Hi Poppy, thank you for the information, oh I see I shall wait until then as you mentioned I have only had them for 1-2 months,  yes I have seen my Gp and she referred me to talking therapies and I have seen my therapist I will be having 4 sessions, I have had 2 sessions so far every other week, I had a session on Wednesday.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @avakarlsson   Please if I can advise . Always get support from any of these mental health charities.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Also would support, advise you on benefit situations.  Plus discuss coping method strategies to deal with panic attacks .

As a Community Champion and mental health member advising the Community.

Consider the following diet, nutritional advice.  The fight or flight symptoms can be increased if you consume Caffeine in Coffee, Tea, Cola, Chocolate.  

Avoid all of them and alcohol, stop smoking if you are.

All are stimulants make the panic attacks worse as in anxiety and stress.

Always remember that this can be useful to consider thinking of recognising  why you have panic attacks. The causes talking helps..

Can be destressing emotional and fearful.

Calming and relaxation techniques are useful and helpful.

Radio Classical Music know to be soothing, use meditation and therapies to make sure that you can cope.

Reason joined a lot of the links mentioned . Do have support groups in house well being advisors and learn to educate yourself.

Foods that help to be calming dealing with panic attacks causing stress.

Whole grains Rice, Pasta Bread. Potatoes, Water ice cold sipped slowly helps.

Fruit and vegetables plenty of can beneficial as is Eggs, Leafy Greens, Broccoli and Spinach, Kale.

Nuts and dairy products useful as well. Please do not take if food allergies or intolerances. 

One other find something you can do to calm and be relaxed.

I have a routine most days. Do word puzzles a hour each day.  Music Classic FM all day quiet in the background .

Please if I can help further please ask me happy to be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • avakarlsson
    Hi 
    Thank you for the info, yes I do colouring or crosswords in the day if I feel up to it, if I am or not having a panic attack. I see my best friend once a week, 
  • avakarlsson
    I am having sessions from talking therapies, so far I have had 2 I have another 2 more to go, but depending I might need more. They are useful but I haven’t noticed any difference yet as they still happen. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @avakarlsson   Please can I ask did you look at any of the links.

I provided it is fine you have Talking Therapy and do colouring books and all that.

Understand all of that it a decision you have to make. If I am having panic attacks, anxiety and need some help then know need to do this.

Besides it is a double edged motive to apply, because you get help with your anxiety panic attacks at the same time meet support workers who can give you the opportunity to advise.

On a number of things on benefits. All staff know how to word forms the correct wording, then will add a care report in the form.

Attend assessment actually mine used to discuss days before anything I need to say or added I will prompt you but also speak on your behalf.

In all the years using them have had positive results.

All there to access also one other meet people like you and they be supportive and vice versa.

Any mental health issues are not healing thy self but have the knowledge and expertise from others to use.  By listening and learning you can cope.

I had my conditions a long time since early 1980's have add to that been in volunteered in mental health charities and that is something else to look at.

Because if you volunteer you there in their eye. As I had several problems accessed me to their support with any problems.

Something to consider even had invention from one charity rang them the powers the DWP. My report and assessment, changed a lot.

Please can I add also they could work with Talking Therapy they usually do.

Attend with you appointments and anything not sure of ask them on your behalf.

I had 25 sessions with a charity on Talking Therapy still never worked but speaking to support worker and charity.

Agreed other therapies and solutions, CBT for some does not work one example. If the mental health is complex and confusion.

Long buried in the mind can set off triggers memories and long term flashbacks.  By discussing with my support we accessed their own coping methods and strategies.

Please just something you need to be aware of if you have any therapy.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • avakarlsson
    Thank you for the info

Talking therapies does help as I am seeing someone but it hasn’t helped my panic attacks yet. When they do happen I try and take my mind off it but normally I can’t as they are scary. 
  • avakarlsson
    I am on daily living pip I know I have asked this question already but if I phoned would I get more points as I have panic attacks and payment increase?
  • poppy123456
    I am on daily living pip I know I have asked this question already but if I phoned would I get more points as I have panic attacks and payment increase?

No, i've already advised you on this in my first comment on this thread. Please have another read.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

For PIP you need to have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. As you've only been experiencing those attacks for the past month or two then they won't be taken into consideration yet.

Once 3 months have past then you could report a change of circumstances for your PIP but i'm afraid it doesn't automatically entitle you to extra money. More PIP forms will be sent out to you, which you'll need to fill in and return with all your relevant evidence to support your claim. You'll then most likely have another face to face assessment because most people have them. You do risk losing everything you already have by doing this.

A worsening of condition doesn't automatically entitle you to a higher PIP award. After those 3 months if you're still experiencing the panic attacks then you'll need to get some expert face to face advice from an agency near you to see where you could score those extra points for a higher PIP award. It may not be possible to score extra points for a higher award.

Do be aware also that the 9 month rule will still apply.

Have you spoken to your GP regarding your panic attacks?

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    As stated already @avakarlsson you would need to have experienced symptoms for a minimum of 3 months, also an increase in the payments you already receive will not automatically be applied, as further evidence would need to be provided.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • avakarlsson
    Can I get any other benefits? I went to the job centre yesterday for my commitments but it was a bit pointless going to as they thought I didn’t have a job and asked me where had I been looking on what websites for jobs, they didn’t realise I am employed but long term sick, and I said I’m due to see my manager soon as I had an occupational health assement Tuesday then she will decide to keep me or dismiss me on ill health and when that happens I have to go on my journal and report change 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're already receiving SSP, UC and PIP then I'm not aware of any other benefits you could apply for
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    Can I get any other benefits? I went to the job centre yesterday for my commitments but it was a bit pointless going to as they thought I didn’t have a job and asked me where had I been looking on what websites for jobs, they didn’t realise I am employed but long term sick, and I said I’m due to see my manager soon as I had an occupational health assement Tuesday then she will decide to keep me or dismiss me on ill health and when that happens I have to go on my journal and report change 

I've also answered this question multiple times. You're already claiming UC but your payments are being reduced to zero because you're receiving SSP. You're claiming everything you're entitled to at the moment.

Your work capability assessment is in about a week from now and you'll need to wait for a decision to be made on that.

Your appointments at the job centre are part of your work commitments because you don't have limited capability for work yet. Once you've been assessed and a decision is made you'll need to continue with  your work commitments.
  • avakarlsson
    Hopefully when I have my assessment next Saturday I won’t have to wait to long for the report and see which group I am in, my SSP finishes in March.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @avakarlsson
    Approx a week after your assessment you can call and request a copy of your report, however this will only show you the assessment details and not the decision. A decision maker will make the decision based on your application and assessment and this could take some time 4-8 weeks or even longer and you will be notified by letter of the decision. Good luck for your assessment and keep us updated
  • avakarlsson
    Yes I will request the report as when I had my pip assement I got the report from that, hopefully after I won’t have to wait too long, but it depends on how busy DWP are  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.