Appealing to courts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appealing to courts

clare_1
clare_1 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
Hello all

I wonder if anyone could help please 
On the 9th January I completed and sent my apeal the dission made on the MR for PIP.
I received a email from the courts saying ' your PIP apeal has been received by the tribunal' What happens next ' Yout appeal will be lodged with the tribunal in the next 3 days, you'll will then be emailed an appeal reff number and address where you can send evidence, if you have any'.
I still haven't had any other emails so I can send more evidence  so was just wondering if anyone els has had this happen to and if it could be due to back logs?.

Comments

• DaveTheWasp
    DaveTheWasp Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    I've not yet put in my appeal (am due to submit it with my benefits advisor next week), but once I have, I can come back and advise whether I receive anything within the 3 days. 

Not sure if you've tried, but it may be worth double - checking any spam/junk folders in your email, in case it's got caught up there.

If not, I'd try giving them a call on 0300 123 1142 (assuming you're not in Scotland, I believe it's a different number there). They've been helpful whenever I've spoken to them.

Sorry I can't be much help, but hope everything goes well for you, and good luck with the appeal! 
  • clare_1
    Thank you for your responce Dave. That would be fabulous if you could. Properly just so back logged because of how shocking PIP is with getting things wrong in the assessments. Just seems no matter how much evidence you give they just make up what they want to.

I have checked spam and all other folders in email. I made sure i stared the email so it priority when they contact me. 
    The last two times I had to take it to tribunal I wrote and sent it by post and wasn't aware I could even do it online. Saved on postage but now beacuse I've done different you never sure of what to expect in time frame.

My fingers are crossed that your appeal runs smoothly and thank you for the number to call the courts.
  • clare_1
    Thank you very much for you responce.

I will try get someone to call her me Monday. 
    It didn't even run through my mind that it could get lost doing it online.
    Bug I have reff number so hopefully they will have some answers as to what's going on
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @clare_1, how are you getting on? :)
    Scope

• clare_1
    Not great Chloe.
    I have to wait for someone to ring for me beacuse I have trouble speaking.
    As soon as I find out what's happing I will update
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope it's not much longer @clare_1
    Scope

• DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    I received a text message on 6/12 saying my appeal had been received, then another text on 7/12 saying it had been lodged...then received another saying my evidence had been received on 20/01...my online tracker says they are still waiting to hear from the DWP but I think it’s not up to date as I have received the DWP’s response via post from Appeals and Tribunal Service.  I’ve just sent off another response to Appeals which they received today according to Royal Mail tracking.  Not sure that’s much help to you but gives an idea of the timeline I had.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    It took 2 weeks between the first and 2nd email for me, I couldn't phone either so just had to wait.  

But as yours is nearly a month it's more likely somethings wrong I guess. 

It also took several days (if not weeks) for the online tracker to update as 'DWP have responded' after I received my bundle.
  • clare_1
    Thanks for the reply's everyone, I'm just hoping it's a back log but fingers crossed I can get someone to ring for me Monday. Just a shame thier is not an other way of contacting them to explain the situation.
    It said in the texted that A summary of your appeal has been sent to you by email and post, but as I explaineddonly got the email so far of what I wrote.
    I will keep posted when I know what's happened
  • DaveTheWasp
    edited February 2020
    Update as promised, I submitted the appeal on 6th Feb, received the first message confirming receipt of the appeal , but heard nothing since. I called this morning as the month deadline is up today and there is an automated message saying that its currently taking up to two weeks to process new appeal applications, and I've been advised to wait. I'll update when I get the message to say that it's been lodged. 
  • clare_1
    Thank you for reply
    An update my end is...
    My mum rang up the courts and first was told they havent recived it.
    My mum had to explain we have an email and text to say the courts have received it and I would hear back in 3 days time, that was on the 9th Jan and still nothing.
    The lady one the phone asked for IN ect and then came back and said I have found it now it was put in a different folder and we was waiting for the DWP. I am now transferring it over to a different folder now and you will recive a letter in the post within the next 10 days, with reff number and where to send extra medical information.
    So my mum asked if it got lost to that the lady replied no, it was just put 8n a different folder.

I'm pleased it's now sorted (I hope). But still confused as to why it was put in different folder. Sounds like a mix up to me and someone done something wrong.

But i will keep posted as to what happens next.
    Thank all who commented and i hope this information may help someone els
  • DaveTheWasp
    I'm glad you've got that part sorted, I'm going to give it until it's been two weeks and then I'll call and chase it up again as the wait times seem long enough already. 

I've read a few posts on here and other forums about paperwork being misplaced/lost. I hope the rest of your appeal goes smoothly.
  • clare_1
    I thought it would be alot easier to sort things online but should know by now nothing is easy with PIP.
    I'm sure it will be a long time to wait for appeal date to come through.

I hope the court goes well and they see how misleading and contradictory the assessor wrote in both reports.
    My assessor brought up a ESA meeting i had before my PIP. She didn't even go to or wasn't apart of, see looked into it but said to me that she hadn't even read my PIP form. So strange why she looked at my ESA.
    Made no sense why she brought that up beacuse my ESA beacuse that's separate claim and it got changed from work related to support group. So not sure what point she was trying to make but a big mess up in the assessors behalf. So hoping the court will think it's wrong.

Yeah good thinking. Hope you get the answers you need when you ring them.
    Good luck with yours also ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    I've got my fingers crossed @clare_1!
    Scope

• DaveTheWasp
    I called them today and spoke to a really nice lady, she told me that the appeal is lodged and they're waiting for the appeal bundle from DWP.

I also asked about waiting times for a hearing and the current average here in Birmingham is 46-55 weeks, although I might wait until I've got everything ready for the submission and then register to take hearings with less than 14 days' notice to see if that might bring the wait time down a little. 
  • clare_1
    Thank you for the reply and the information about the waiting times your end. My fingers are crossed for you.

I got an email on the 18th  from the courts to say that it has now been logged and now DWP have 1 month to respond and if they don't they will get a reminder.
    I got given my case number and I can track the case as to what's happening and if I have any more evidence to pass on I have a address to send it to.
    I don't need to do anything els now apart from wait.

I hope this information helps someone.

For me it's just a waiting game but I will keep posted if anything new comes up.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.