Trouble with eye contact feeling left out. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trouble with eye contact feeling left out.

Options
lostone87
lostone87 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Just got back from London with my parents and I am feeling a bit low (on top of other things I wont go into) When we had people talk to us ie people who served us at the hotel and at bars (we ate cheaper) I could not make eye contact and when I did they just looked over me straight at my mum and dad. just straight up ignore me and I felt a bit small and invisible.

I don't dress fancy, a lot of people are in suits so i have no idea what they think but I had no dirty looks and no one was snobby. So there is that, I know we came off the coach and no one lets you off. I don't want to be rude they mostly from Newport and they walk like they drive :P

I find it very hard to make eye contact and still find it hard to connect to people even with AS but i'm ok with my mum, dad and my social workers, I just feel so alone like not many people care for your well being. I saw lots of homeless people and they just walk passed them. I was wondering if that ever happen to me would people do the same? my mum and dad are not here for ever and my social workers come and go, too never be heard from again.

Hope this is not to negative, just want to vent and see what you think. Kind regards

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and I hope you are ok? I find London very impersonal its so big and has so many people. Many people walk past homeless people sadly, personally even if i cant give them some money I try and stop and have a word with them ask how they are if they are keeping safe and warm and I know they appreciate a human being taking interest in them.
    Are there any clubs or similar where you live that you could join, or homeless shelters where you could volunteer to help you gain some confidence?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• lostone87
    edited January 2020
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Hi and I hope you are ok? I find London very impersonal its so big and has so many people. Many people walk past homeless people sadly, personally even if i cant give them some money I try and stop and have a word with them ask how they are if they are keeping safe and warm and I know they appreciate a human being taking interest in them.
    Are there any clubs or similar where you live that you could join, or homeless shelters where you could volunteer to help you gain some confidence?
    I am in South Wales and we have NAS and Store 21 both in Cardiff. I tried National autistic society group and I could not connect with people (highly intelligent and was left out) there was a guy called Steve and his group was great, just not the same without him.

Store 21 is in the heart of Cardiff but I get anxiety going on my own in the city. They said I can go a bit with my staff but then I have to go there on my own and dont know how I feel about that. Was told it shut down but I think they are mistaken.

We have Rec Rock in Bargoed but found the leader a bit rude. He was saying that I have nothing to show and he was trying to get me there on my own but need staff to support me to get there.

We also had Chad a computer repair store for people with disability's but that is gone now.

I would volunteer but I no longer getting my PIP, have to pay towards my benefits and may get none left. I may have look at a pet shop but got not much in terms of certificate's.

Going to try store 21 in the summer when my depression is down mind, the last time I been was on my own when I was a little better with my mood (gone down hill since then) there was only one guy there it was a bit depressing. Hope it is better now ;)
  • lostone87
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Did it make sense what I wrote? I can elaborate if it doesn't. Kind regards
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community @lostone87  . The community is a lovely and supportive bunch and we’re all here if you need anything.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lostone87, it sounds like it was a difficult meal! Is there any support you'd like from others? Please do feel free to have a look around. :)
    Scope

Brightness