ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

sandymoss
sandymoss Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi all,hope someone can help,iv been on ESA for a year now,just got a phone call saying they stopping my claim due to not having enough points,but nothing has changed in the year,iv had cancer,mini stroke,2 slipped disc,s,bleeding ulcers,they say to get a letter from my doctors,which will cost me £45,

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    Hi @sandymoss

I am a community champion here at scope we are a team of volunteers who help welcome new membersI’m sure someone will be able to answer your question.

for now I just wanted to say welcome to the community. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

I'm assuming because you mention points then you've had the work capability assessment and you've been found fit for work, is that correct?

May i also ask if it's New style ESA you're claiming?

Also one last question, you mention cancer and i'm sorry to hear that. Are you currently going through either radiotherapy or chemo for this?

Once you've answered those questions i'll be able to help you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sandymoss - Welcome to this supportive community, & thank you for joining. I'm very sorry to read about your health issues, & also about your ESA claim. I'd just like to say that Poppy has a great understanding of benefits, &, as she say's, if you would kindly answer her queries, then she will be able to help you further.
    This community helps & offers support to everyone in many different ways, so please do feel you can talk here at any time about any problems or concerns you might have, or if you just want to chat.
  • sandymoss
    nothing has changed in a year,it was last year i claimed so not sure if its the new one and iv finished chemo and radiotherapy,iv not been told im fit for work as my consultant keeps saying im not
  • poppy123456
    I realise your Consultant says you're not fit for work but has the decision been made by DWP and have they found you fit for work?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sandymoss
    i had a meeting with them and i had a phone call today saying i didnt get any points he sid nothing about going back into work but told me to appeal
  • poppy123456
    This means they you have been found fit for work by DWP and that's why your money has stopped.

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating which group you think you should be placed into and your reasons why. Send relevant evidence with the letter to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for any evidence.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so it's very likely you'll need to take it to Tribunal. Waiting times for hearings is huge across most of the country and lots of people are waiting a year for a hearing date.

My advice is to speak to an advice agency near you and ask for some help with the MR/Tribunal. This link will tell you what's local to you, if you put your postcode in.

• sandymoss
    Thank you,he also said for me .to try universal credit
  • poppy123456
    I’m assuming it was New style ESA you were claiming? This will have been based on your NI credits from working in the previous 2 years before you started you claim.

Claiming universal credit will depend on your circumstances because it’s a means tested benefit. If you live with a partner that works then you will need to claim as a couple. Whether you’re entitled to anything will depend on income from working, savings and capital and income from any pensions you maybe claiming. If you have savings of more than £6,000 it will affect the amount you an claim. Anything over £16,000 and you won’t be entitled to any means tested benefits. 
  • sandymoss
    Thank you so much for the help,i shall wait for my letter to come and take it from there,iv asked my doctor for a letter about my illness,so im hoping that will help.
  • poppy123456
    You’re welcome. A letter from your GP isn’t the best evidence to send because they rarely know how your conditions affect you. They will only ever know the basics like what medications you take and what appointments you’ve had. 

The work capability assessment is about the work you can do and not the work you can’t do. They assess your ability to do any type of work.

• sandymoss
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sandymoss and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Good luck with your ESA claim and please let us know how you get on.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • sandymoss
    Thank you,i shallkeep you up dated.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.