Pension credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension credit

charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
I have a friend who has to vacate her residence at the weekend  After will be sofa surfing. She is a pensioner  claiming pension credit element. Will she be able to claim being classed as homeless. Can she a use a c/o address 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Yes she can but whether it will continue will depend on her circumstances. Does she claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charlie79
    NO SHE IS JUST CLAIMING PENSION CREDIT. SHE WAS LOOKING AFTER HER FRIENDS PLACE WHERE HER CLAIM WAS STARTED. UNFORTUNATELY THE FRIEND HAS LOST HER JOB AND HAS TO RENT THE 3 BED PROPERTY OUT. BUT MY MY FRIEND IS 67 YEARS AND NEEDS PENSION CREDIT ELEMENT TO CLAIM HOUSING BENEFIT AS WELL. AS WE ALL SEE ON NEWS AND THIS SITE FINDING A PROPERTY IS NOT EASY. CAN SHE STILL CLAIM WHILST SOFA SURFING. SHE HAS AN ATTATCHMENT TO THE AREA IF THAT IS THE RIGHT WORD.
  • charlie79
    SHE IS HOMELESS IN THE SENSE SHE HAS NO ADDRESS BUT HAS FRIENDS SHE CAN SOFA SURF WITH FOR A FEW MONTHS. ITS JUST SHE CANT USE THERE ADDRESS AS THEY HAVE THERE OWN SET CIRCUMSTANCES.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Can you please turn off your capital letters because it makes it very difficult to read because it's classed as shouting.

Yes, she can still claim pension credit but she won't be able to claim for housing benefit while she's staying with friends but staying with them could affect any other benefits they are claiming.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Another case similar.  He used salvation army office as safe semi permanent postal address. But they stopped his pension  credit and halved his winter fuel on grounds he was, essentially,  cohabiting,  presumably because the sal.army office was also taking mail for someone else!
  • charlie79
    Thankyou for advice everyone. Sorry Poppy for using capitals, I was using a laptop lent to me while mine was in repair. It was easier on that one to do capitals. I also lost my glasses which were missing over a week, it was easier to read as I was writing. I didn't realize it could be misinterpreted as shouting but as you mentioned I can see your point. I also get the shakes a lot, so sometimes its easier just keep capslock on. I hope all is well in your new home. My friend is going to citizens advice, hopefully she finds a resolution.
  • mimmit
    mimmit Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    has she gone to the council and told them she is homeless,i was in same situation last year (aged 71) as classed as a vunerable adult was first put in a hotel for the night then given accommodation until I obtained a permanent place where I am now a 1 bed flat in sheltered accommodation if staying with friends temporarily get them to write a letter to take to the council saying you have to be out by a certain date i.e 14th Feb it is a scary time I know having been there at your age you should,nt be homeless,once a council has put you in a homeless accommodation,i.e.hotel or hostel they have accepted responsibility for you,good luck hope you get sorted soon.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @charlie79. Has your friend made any progress? Hope you are both getting on okay.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.