Will my carer lose her carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my carer lose her carers allowance

kez131185
kez131185 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi since ice been on PIP my sister has claimed carers allowance for having to look after me. Im on universal credit and now just been awarded lwrca but will my sister now lose her carers allowance or will i get less each month because she claimes carers for looking after me

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

No, you won't lose any money in your UC because your sister claims the carers allowance and not you.

For your UC you will receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kez131185
    Ok thank you its says in my award letter online the outher day that my lwrca will start from 8th of june 2019 thats already taking if the 4 months as said 8th of febuary 2019 so how and when do i recive that and is it backdated
  • kez131185
  • poppy123456
    The letter states a review but is it a mandatory reconsideration (mr) or did you put in a worsening of condition? 

What was the decision that was made on 14/10/19?

Also when did you send your first fit note?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kez131185
  • kez131185
    Fit note was handed in 16th june 2019. Im just confused by it all and not sure what they mean by awarded from 6th of june
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    My thoughts are that this is not correct because the decision of the MR was made on 18/2/2020. This revised the decision that was made on 14/10/2019. Which means that decision has been changed from LCW to LCWRA so the decision should be from 14/10/2019

The waiting period starts from when you sent your first fit note but because there's a full 3 month waiting period and UC is paid in arrears, then you receive the payment on the 4th month. When this will be will depend on what your assessment period is because of the 3 FULL assessment periods. I see you sent your fit note on 16th June 2019 BUT when is your assessment period? Once i know this i'll be able to tell you when your LCWRA should be paid from.
  • kez131185
    Its from the 9th to the 8th if that makes sence and then i get paid on the 15th of each month
  • poppy123456
    This means that you should be paid the extra LCWRA element from October 2019, so they owe you some money. I'd advise you to ring UC to speak to your case manager and tell them that the dates on the letter to start receiving this element are incorrect.
  • kez131185
    Ok whats dates are the letter stating i will recive it from
  • poppy123456
    Right, i've just read back through both the letters you received and the dates in them do not make any sense at all to me. It's states that you attended a work capability assessment on 16/09/2019 and that a decision was made on 14/10/2019 that gave you LCW.

On 15/10/2019 you requested the MR. It then says the MR decision has changed the original decision and that you are awarded LCWRA from 18/02/2019 BUT you said you didn't send your fit note until June 2019. So i'm confused by the dates.

I'm going to tag a member of our admin team who will hopefully be able to shed some light on this and give his thoughts tomorrow morning when he sees this. It's not often something confuses me about benefits but this has.

@Adrian_Scope your help will be appreciated here please because i just can't work this out. Thanks in advance!
  • kez131185
    Ok lol its confused me aswell but i dont like to speak on phone to people so thort ild ask someone on here so thanks for trying to help me out and speak tomorow
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi kez131185
    I see from the letters that when you claimed UC you mentioned your health conditions.
    Did you send a sick note in with your claim in February?
    If so, the dates on the letters would make sense and your LCWRA could be paid from the fourth month after the first sick note was sent.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    kez131185 said:
    Fit note was handed in 16th june 2019. Im just confused by it all and not sure what they mean by awarded from 6th of june

@Joanne_Scope this is what's confusing me because fit notes weren't handed in until June, even though the health condition was reported when the claim started. Thanks for your help here.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    @poppy123456,
    I just wondered when I read it, if the June sick note could be a follow up one?
    Otherwise, as you said, the dates just don't make sense!
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Possibly yes. Hopefully, @kez131185 will answer your question. If the first fit note was sent in June 2019 then i'm lost on this one. DWP never make things easy do they? 

Appreciate your help, thank you!

• Joanne_Alumni
    @poppy123456,

you are very welcome. Don't know what we would do without Community Champions like you!
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    @poppy123456,

you are very welcome. Don't know what we would do without Community Champions like you!

Aww thank you, that's made my day. Always my pleasure to help anyone i can :)
  • kez131185
    Yes 1st sick note was handed in on june so not sure whats going on. Thanks for ur help both of u and ill let u know what happens in a few days when they update my jernal :)
  • poppy123456
    This means that the LCWRA should be paid from October 2019 and not from June 2019. My concern here is that if they pay you from June 2019 then you will have an overpayment, which will need to be repaid back. All UC overpayments are recoverable even if it's DWP error.

My advice is to wait to see what's put on your journal and come back if you need further advice.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.