Pip award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip award

onelunglarry
onelunglarry Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all,

I’m new here so hello and please go easy on me ?

A little back ground; in 2007 I was diagnosed with industrial asthma, in 2011 I had my right lung removed along parts of my wind pipe, ribs, lymph nodes etc due to a carcinoid tumour. Had complex 13hr main operation and weeks in hospital. I was retired due to ill health by the company I worked for. I now suffer with chronic pain, breathlessness, depression etc.. and am on a mountain of meds.

In 2012, as advised by my occupational health doc, I claimed dla. I was awarded middle care and higher mobility, moved to pip in 2015 and nothing changed. 

In October 2019 had a re assessment, and despite my condition slowly getting worse (I’m 40 but my remaining lung has equivalent function of a 87yr old lung) I was standard care and nothing for mobility! 

The decision makers statement just seems to disregard all the evidence they have, and the statements from the assessor are shockingly inaccurate. 

We’re just in the process of writing a long and detailed mandatory reconsideration notice and was just after some advice. I did find a template letter on this site that I was using but accidentally closed the tab and now I can’t find it. 

I was nicknamed one lung Larry so have stuck with it. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

When writing the MR you need to state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

You should avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because they won't be interested in any of those. Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so you'll likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour but the waiting times are huge in most areas. Lots are waiting about a year for a hearing date.
    This link may help with the letter

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • onelunglarry
    Thank you, I’ve not said she was lying specifically just listed which statements are not a true reflection of what happened in assessment and how it really affects me. Is this ok? 

Do I need to re send information they already have? (I literally  sent them a whole binder full in my original application)

thanks 
  • poppy123456
    You can't prove what did or didn't happen during the assessment so mentioning this isn't going to help your claim. You're much better off concentrating on where any why you should have scored those points.

Sending in huge amounts of evidence if it's not relevant isn't helpful. Less is often more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @onelunglarry,

Welcome to the Community!
    You are in good hands with @popp123456. Her information and advice is always excellent!
    There is quite a lot of information on the Scope website about appealing a decision which you may find useful.
    If you would like to talk it through with one of our advisers our free helpline is open 7 days a week-0808 800 3333  :)
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @onelunglarry, I have no more advice to add but I just wanted to welcome you to the community and please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• onelunglarry
    Hi guys! 

Thank you poppy, the info they received originally(2012), although vast, was all relevant to details of my surgery, lung function tests, physio reports etc.. 

so far I’ve gone through each point on the award and tried my best to explain why I should have been awarded the points and given examples of how how my condition affects me. 

Do you know how long they take to write back after they’ve received the notice? And as it’s looks like it will go to appeal,, how long will should l expect to wait for that date?

I have to send the motability car back by end of March, and as I have to regularly travel to London (Harefield/Brompton Hospital) I need to try and arrange transport ASAP if it’s unlikely I’ll get the deduction changed from the notice. An idea on timescales would be appreciated. Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

There's no timescales for any decision.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @onelunglarry, just to let you know that I have removed all of your duplicate threads. Unfortunately the software does this occasionally but it's nothing to worry about. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.